Gear probs!!!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
satin gti
Getting There!

Gear probs!!!

Post by satin gti »

probs geting the car into gear 1st 3rd 4th pain in the arse at the lights and haven to ram it into first it just dosent want to go into these gears! an it dosent sound to good when u have to ram it in to gear :cry: it comes and gos but a cant live with it. dont want to go to vw kirkcaldy causes they useless fu**S anyone had this prob? any ideas guys? am i looking at big bucks being spent??? :roll:
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

You had the pedal box done?
satin gti
Getting There!

Post by satin gti »

yeah that was done last year? you think yhats the prob? i like to go armed wi pos causes when i go to vw so they dont hit me wi there s**t! :wink:
andyd
New

Post by andyd »

Hi m8 - I starting having real probs with 1st gear and reverse a few months after having the pedal box done. I'm now the proud owner of a new clutch!

Couldn't convince dealers that there was a link between the work on the pedal box and subsequent gear change problems. There are a few ppl on here who have had similar though by the looks of things.

Good luck!
satin gti
Getting There!

Post by satin gti »

if you dont mind me asking how much did that cost you?? :cry:
and has every gti got a stiff clutch pedal?? :?
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

stiff clutch pedal normally means the cable is about to go

perhaps its not aligned properly or adjusted to correct length?
satin gti
Getting There!

Post by satin gti »

it was like that when i got the car 2 1/2 years ago. went in for the recall and was just the same when i got it back :?
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

I think gti clutch pedals are normally quite heavy. mine certainly is...

Maybe you need the gear linkages aligning? shouldnt be a big job if it is.
satin gti
Getting There!

Post by satin gti »

what could cause the gear linkages to go out? my car is on the deck could healthy bumps n bangs put it out?? :roll:
and has anyone ever had this done and got a idea of the cost?
hope thats the prob :?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Having the linkages realigned should be a 10-minute job IIRC. They use a template to realign the linkages and it's a fairly straightforward job I think. Can't cost much at all, surely?

And the clutch is heavy just as standard yes. I never really realised this until I had a rental car for two weeks, and then when I got back in the Polo after this two-week gap, I put my foot on the clutch and just went like this: :shock: :shock:
satin gti
Getting There!

Post by satin gti »

aye polo gti drivers have the strongest left legs about!! :twisted:
Roper
New

Post by Roper »

just try to change the oil first, see if you notice any difference :wink:
Tony B
Getting There!

Post by Tony B »

Alright all..,,,my gear/pedal box experience is as follows -

If you're having probs getting it into gears - BUT it doesn't get worse the longer you drive it, then it'll be the linkages problem (and least costly - sure someone has posted a cost on here somewhere before....£20??).

BUT, if the gear changing gets worse the longer you drive it, i'd say your pedal box has cracked again! - which will happen if your clutch is too heavy! I had a heavy clutch (i mean REALLY heavy!) which in turn broke the pedal box again (after the recall!). I had the box replaced again (under warranty again), and had a new clutch fitted (which i paid for - £240 for a sachs clutch). Its much better now but it's still a heavy clutch - just not as ridiculously heavy as before.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Well I finally got mine today and I can honestly say my clutch pedal is nice and light, Pedal box was done last year and as far as I've noticed so far every gear goes in fine first time and easily.