Removing the steering wheel...how?!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
ConradCL
New

Removing the steering wheel...how?!

Post by ConradCL »

Hopefully gonna get myself a new steering wheel in the not too distant future. Just wondered, how do I get the old one off? Usually its a piece of cake but I got an airbag in this one...help!! :?

Cheers guys :D
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

i have a saw u can borrow :lol: (sorry mate I haven't a clue)
DScape
Bronze Member

Post by DScape »

Are you replacing it with an aftermarket airbag one?

Just out of interest...cause I thought you had to do that, I just want to know!

But sorry mate, I haven't got a clue either :D
BamesRees
Getting There!

Post by BamesRees »

hiya mate, what u do is, there r 2 allen key holes on the back of the steerin wheel for the air bag u got to undo them very carefully with the ignition off. then the airbag comes out, then u ll see a clip u have to unclip on the back of the airbag, then the airbag will be free from the car, keep it upright and store it in u r shed or somethin. then every things hunky dory, just take the steering wheel off with the bolt holdin it on in the middle
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

BamesRees wrote:hiya mate, what u do is, there r 2 allen key holes on the back of the steerin wheel for the air bag u got to undo them very carefully with the ignition off. then the airbag comes out, then u ll see a clip u have to unclip on the back of the airbag, then the airbag will be free from the car, keep it upright and store it in u r shed or somethin. then every things hunky dory, just take the steering wheel off with the bolt holdin it on in the middle
dont forget to observe the safty precautions on the back of the airbag dont drop expose to extreams of tempriture and shock as this will set the bag off. when storing as mentioned in the post above keep it upright the bit that faces you in the car needs to be stored facing upwards incase it is accedently set off it will not fly upwards in teh air.

do not turn the ignition on with the airbag removed as it will set the airbag warning light off on the dash and in the event of an emergancy it will not activate the passengers bag.
ConradCL
New

Post by ConradCL »

Cheers for the help guys :D
warrmr wrote:do not turn the ignition on with the airbag removed as it will set the airbag warning light off on the dash and in the event of an emergancy it will not activate the passengers bag.

So what happens if I want to fit an aftermarket steering wheel? :?
luke
Getting There!

Post by luke »

umm kinda VERY important u disconnect + & - b4 u go disconnectin the air bag leave it discharge for about hour and a half to b safe, i took mine out when doing the dash. just dont give the wheel with the air bag to a mate to hold, when u sort out ur dash my mate managed to drop the wheel and snap the cord got a quote off VW 200 quids worth to replace airbag and the little cord. if u suddenly disconnect the airbag without disconnectin the battery you could end up with an air bag filling your car. i had an auto electrician RANT at me extensivly about just disconecting it without the battery. u may b lucky and it might not go off. . . BUT IT CUD on the other hand. hope this helps
test_richie
Getting There!

Post by test_richie »

Also if you disconect the ecu when you put an after market wheel back on the air bag light should not come on.

But as said above take the bat off.

Dave
ConradCL
New

Post by ConradCL »

Cheers for all the help guys :D
test_richie wrote:Also if you disconect the ecu when you put an after market wheel back on the air bag light should not come on.

But as said above take the bat off.

Dave

So do I disconnect the battery, then disconnect the ECU, do the do with the steering wheel, then reconnect the ECU, then reconnect the battery and voila? Or do I remove the battery & ECU the other way round? :?
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

dont want to confuse you now. but i head theat you would need a aibag bipass module ( but that may be s**t) one question do you actually hav a passengers airbag if not you could actually fully disconnect all the airbag wireing then the light wont lightup.

i belive the airbag ECU is under teh carpet under the center console in the center. around by the ashtray and the cubby hole.