herrow! warning: ubernoob

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

herrow! warning: ubernoob

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

hey everybody! Im new here and just wanted to say hi! I have a preg mk4 96 me thinks. its been to the garage once while it was on warranty for rattly exhaust and squeeky wheels. and recently it has been squeekin when i brake, but i think i need new pads, any idea what ones i should get?. and another problem is when i am doin 60 or over the steering wheel vibrates quite badly, and i think it might be warped disks coz i heard that somewhere, any help would b much appreciated. :D here r sum pics
[img=http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/8471 ... 2mw.th.jpg]
[img=http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/3011 ... 4tg.th.jpg]
[img=http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/7902 ... 6bu.th.jpg]
Like my proper VW number plate????? :D

Ive done a few lil mods, lexus lights, clear indicators, new seat covers, debadged grill and infinity speakers on the parcel shelf. i am in the process of some mods atm, acoustic/stealth shelf, wolfrace street octane alloys, angel eyes, mesh grill, alarm, central locking, spray interior, new gear knob n gaiter. does anyone know how the hell to take off the stock gear knob? ive had a lil look and dunno how to get it off. as i said ubernoob :oops:
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

all you do is pull teh gear gator up so it exposes the gear stick you will see a metal crimp clip all you do is cut that and pop the knob off.
Giorgio
Silver Member

Post by Giorgio »

ditch the lexus lights :shock: :shock: :shock:
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

ye i looked under the gaiter thing, and there is a gold thing there is htat the thing i cut???. and the lexus lights im gunna tint so then they will look better :D
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

OMEGASUPR3ME wrote:ye i looked under the gaiter thing, and there is a gold thing there is htat the thing i cut???. and the lexus lights im gunna tint so then they will look better :D
is it at the top of the gear stick cos the gold thing sounds like part of the linkage. all you are looking for is a round metal thing round the gear stick that has been crimped with a pair of crimping pliars. its to dark for a photo now but i suguest you buy a haynes manuel if you already have look diagram 27.3a theres a pic of the gear lever with no gator on then theres the spring bit and above that thers the knob retaining clip.
James0121
Bronze Member

Post by James0121 »

Another white mk4 which is always good.

The crimped ring at the top of the stick is a kind of gold colour which u need to loosen. If you look in the diy section for a topic about replacing the gear knob for a golf one it will tell you all u need to do to remove it, if I remember correctly
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

cut of copper ring, took off gear knob, now i dunno how the f*ck to fit my new 1 on, the shaft is really thin and there is no fitment bits on it, do i have to get special gear knob fittings or something? i will take sum pics 2moz to show ya what i mean.
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

cool car
welcome to the forum!
-Ben-
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

Finally managed to fit it! it was me not thinking "outside the box" thats all lol, fitted induction kit 2nite aswell, sounds so nice and feels awsome! so pleased with it! thanks for all the help n stuff, was great. just savin up for new alloys now :)
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Giorgio wrote:ditch the lexus lights :shock: :shock: :shock:
Actually I thought they looked a lot better than some I have seen!!! i i don't normally like them at all!!!
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Re: herrow! warning: ubernoob

Post by ModifiedMadness »

OMEGASUPR3ME wrote:when i am doin 60 or over the steering wheel vibrates quite badly
First and maybe the cheapest option would be to get the tracking checked first.
polopowah
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

and then the camber :oops:

-Ben-
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

welcome matey,

gear knob is a b!tch.... I wanted to get that changed but decided against it... but will aventually be done...
Not many people here are fans of the laxus lights but as you said tinting them would make them a little better.
The vibrating on the steering wheel is an forearm muscle builder so noting to worry about :twisted:
david burton

Post by david burton »

you didn't need to cut the gear knob metal crimp band! it unhooks off.... ah well, no big deal.

sounds like you need to put something over the metal shaft for the new knob. or just tons of insulating tape!
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

i did have to cut the gold thing coz it was solid, it ddint have anwhere to loosen it, but its no prob nemore coz i have my new 1 on :)