Will the Factory Radio take a CD Changer?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
dnamlot
New

Will the Factory Radio take a CD Changer?

Post by dnamlot »

Does anyone know if the factory casette/radio (for a 97P 1.4CL) would take a CD changer? I saw that it was an option when buying the original model but I was wondering if I could save a few quid by buing an autochanger from ebay in order to hook it up to the back of the factory stereo. Unfortunately the car came without the stereo manual so I could'nt even tell you which model it is until I take it out. On that subject does anyone know a quick way of making up a tool to pull the radio out?
Thanks David
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: Will the Factory Radio take a CD Changer?

Post by mysteryboy »

dnamlot wrote: On that subject does anyone know a quick way of making up a tool to pull the radio out?
Cut some wire (like from football cages or fences) bend it and stick the ends in ur radio. Do so on both sides, push in and the yank it out.

As for the cd changer - You'll have to take the radio out to see if it has the slot to put the changer cable in.
dnamlot
New

Post by dnamlot »

Managed to get the radio out, sadly no chance of connecting a CD changer. Thanks, David
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

Unlucky mate. Guess a new radio is on the shoping list?
gazza1286
New

Post by gazza1286 »

An alternative to consider.

I've kept the cassette player and rigged up a 'cassette on a lead' with the flex running from the unit via the spare switch next to the heated rear window - behind the steering column and into the glove box. This is plugged into my MP3 player. The sound is excellent an a much better and more flexable option to carrying a stack of CDs around.

P.S.
I tried one of those FM transmitters you can buy (which allow an MP3 to be played as a radio channel) - The reception is at best average and the dynamic range given that it only FM, is pitiful! The 'cassette on a lead' (Argos £9.99) is the cheapest option giving the best sound quality for anyone without say an 'SD ready' car head unit.
dnamlot
New

Post by dnamlot »

Great idea, I was surprised to hear that the quality is not as good on the FM transmitter. Thanks,

David