NZ Engines ... ???

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

Does anyone have a cam i can buy? im in the middle of painting a few things on the engine (get some pics up this evening) :)
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

cheers adam. anyone know if i can use a gt ECU on the nz loom then? as a guess the ecu, dizzy and cam would go awsome together.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

83coupe wrote:cheers adam. anyone know if i can use a gt ECU on the nz loom then? as a guess the ecu, dizzy and cam would go awsome together.
Theres a few subtle differences that make it impossible. The throttlebody is very different on the GT compared to the NZ, and the coil has about 7 pins IIRC instead of 3.

AS for the differences between the AAV and NZ, the compression ratio is the same but the pistons are different part numbers (odd seeing as the AAV and mk2 1.3 carb engines have the same piston part numbers) The cams are slightly different, IIRC the NZ cam is even more crappy than the 1.3 SPI one. :shock:
DanW
Gold Member

Post by DanW »

Gareth_GT_Hatch wrote:
83coupe wrote:cheers Adam. anyone know if i can use a gt ECU on the NZ loom then? as a guess the ecu, dizzy and cam would go awesome together.
There's a few subtle differences that make it impossible. The throttle-body is very different on the GT compared to the NZ, and the coil has about 7 pins IIRC instead of 3.

AS for the differences between the AAV and NZ, the compression ratio is the same but the pistons are different part numbers (odd seeing as the AAV and mk2 1.3 carb engines have the same piston part numbers) The cams are slightly different, IIRC the NZ cam is even more crappy than the 1.3 SPI one. :shock:
yeah I think someone posted a data-sheet up of the cams of a a few cars. I tried searching for it but it seems to have disappeared.
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

Cheers for all the help dudes, dropped it in smoothly earlier, its never gone that well for me in the past so i was expecting something to go wring,but it fired up first time just after it got dark( minus an exhaust so it was extremly loud)!! :lol: :lol: ill get a video of it running tommorow. whens the next RR day?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

october is about the time we have the club G40 rr day, not sure if theres any before that.
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

wouldnt mind getting it on a r/r before then but im sure i cant wait. i finished fitting everything to it today, im almost ready to test it on the road but the only thing is, I have Reverse, third, fourth and fifth! :D ive adjusted and adjusted and cant get it into first.. any ideas on this?
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Haynes gives you a rough position for the gear lever. After that do it by feel.
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

ok thanks dude. do u have a polo haynes in pdf? i did have it but i lost everything due to a format last month. its a coupe s gearbox on the nz running gear so i hope it takes. i tried the clutch out by using reverse then third to move a few feet in each direction so i know thats gonna be ok(relief!).
DanW
Gold Member

Post by DanW »

Can I be cheeky and get a copy of that PDF as well? I put my haynes i na very very safe place a few months ago and I can't remember where it is :roll:

nice work 83Coupe, looks like it's coming along quickly!
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

oh it is dan im not messing about as i was off the road for ages when i did the SPI conversion, plus im getting damn good at it. many pics to follow tonight! 8)
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

whack a gt cam/4 branch mainfold/decat/sport exhaust. sit back and enjoy the ride!
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

damn right, all in good time though. wat to get my rear stut brace in and change my rear shocks first :P
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

oh and drop it 60mm