NZ Engines ... ???

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

well its already dropped about 40mm but I do wana go to 60mm but it would have to be much stiffer to not rub. especially as im concidering wider rims.
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

Can i fit the blue and black temp sensors from an 1.0 spi to this engine? as i baught a brand new set when i put the 1.0 in. i also bought new oil pressure senders but im guessing they'll be different on a 1.3.. Just trying to transfer all as many of the new parts i put on the spi onto the NZ for the extra couple of mpg. 8)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

they are all the same
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

cheers gareth, just wanted to make sure. ill get them on along with the new lambda i bought before chrimbo to help it run better. planning on making a few more inlet holes on the airbox, and loosing the charcoal canister too.
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

Just fitted the blue and black temp sensors, lambda, and removed the charcoal canister. I blocked up the main pipe coming from the tank, and the vacum pies going to the T/B, and even although its running better, its idling slightly too high now. how can this be resolved? I changed the oil too it was like caramel :lol:
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

there is an idle screw on the throttlebody. Youre supposed to remove the blue temp sender plug before adjusting it but ive found it works either way.
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

Thanks again Mr gareth_gt_hatch. shall be doing that tommorow then :). I mentioned the fact that i removed the charcoal canister, and blocked the pipes between it and the TB inlet. I have a feeling its affected the timing slighly, is this possible or has it gone a bit flat for some other reason ;) i need my own timing gun again
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

did you remember to block the the braided pipe that goes from the bottom of the inlet manifold to the charcoal cannister as well?
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

Yeh there were 3 pipes. 1 from tank, the one from the manifold, and a third one from the front of the T/B. ill try a try different screw in it or something AM.
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

not sure of the gains from removing the charcoal filter tbh????
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

wasnt looking for a gain, merly jus freeing up some under bonnet space :lol:
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

noticed an NZ post on clubpolo and there are suggestions to remove the lambda as the car will run better.. I know it will run on standard maps without the sensor, but what about MPG and is it healthy for the engine? as ive noticed im in the petrol station way more often since i got the nz in. Although when i unplug my lambda when its running (only done it on the drive), it doesnt make the slightest difference to rpm (smooth with and without it!).. havent tried it when moving yet though. is there anyone in swansea on here with a timing gun? mine died!
Revis
Getting There!

Post by Revis »

Steve 86C told me when he gave mine back that it runs better with no lambda so i took his word for it and it ran great and MPG was the same as before if not a little better :D
DanW
Gold Member

Post by DanW »

Revis wrote:Steve 86C told me when he gave mine back that it runs better with no lambda so i took his word for it and it ran great and MPG was the same as before if not a little better :D
So we could get a decat without the need for a lambda probe boss thing?
83coupe
Getting There!

Post by 83coupe »

Well im not gonna whip it off quite yet, but ive cleaned the plugs and rotor arm, and advanced the timing slighty, and its made quite a difference to performance. had a bit of a leak in the exhaust at the cat back joint, repasted it and thats helped a bit. really wana stick it on a r/r to see how it performs before i get a chip and cam. :o