fool foolish theives!

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

fool foolish theives!

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

i want to add a alarm indicator light....i have no alarm or even central locking, (mk2 polo 1989) so basically i can get the components, its just that i want to figure out how i can get the light to come on when the car isnt even moving...any help would be appreciated
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

i pressume you just hook up one of those fake alarm lights to an always live wire...e.g cig lighter or cd player would be easy if you put it in the middle above the heater controls. :wink:

btw i wrote a guide in the guides section on how to install central locking in the mk2 :D costs about £30
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... =31m3&QV=P

The parking light circuit would be the ideal candidate for a feed. I've not got a diagram to hand to tell you how to do it. Otherwise, you could use a changeover relay.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

An LED bulb, a watch battery holder, a couple short lengths of wire, some solder, oh and a watch battery should do the job, surely? Maybe a small 555 flasher module between LED and battery too, if you want to be smart.

Probable cost about a quid fifty... make your own mounting hole in the dash (the soldering iron might come in useful there too ... or just a suitable size drill bit)

I used to just plug in this cigarette socket air freshener device i had.... because it had a nice bright green LED on the end to show when it was turned on :) If it does its job properly, no-ones going to look at it long or hard enough to realise.

Alternatively, if i still had the car, i would have offered you the (at one time, genuine) alarm status LED already fitted to a blanking panel that's uselessly took up a segment of the dash for the past X years... in return for an intact, bulb-less one of course. No connection on it to any power supply or control, but a good bit of wire still attached..... ah well.
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

sorry i am a noob here! lol sorry for being dumb but i am trying my hardest to learn, i understand that the handbrake light should give off a small current when it is pulld up, but does it still give this current when the ignition is off, what i thought of, is making the little switch that triggers the handbreak light a switch for the flasher module!!! so when the handbreak is pulld up, and the two metal peices or whatever are together teh light works, and wire it straight to the battery...assuming i buy the light from maplins..!
k4lps
Bronze Member

Post by k4lps »

you can use the switch on the handbrake but you'll have to take a live feed from somewere in the dash you'll need to use a resister aswell 0.27ohm i think