overheating on my mk4 solution

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
nutter guy
New

overheating on my mk4 solution

Post by nutter guy »

right struck a problem with my mk4 1.4 8v but its the same method used on all petrol mk4's, the car suddenly overheated, fan wouldn't come on or anything, right after inspectoin of every thing i came accros the problem,

as i took the thermostat cap ( the black plastic bit wich the pipe hooks onto ) i looked on the inside and saw that the plastic had snapped off where the thermostat rod pressed against, i saw this as a 'weak' design and thought it might arise some problems for others, I swapped it and its fine

cheers
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

Yeah the Thermostat Housing seems to have caused confusion for a few others including me...it's easily missed
Phil6N
Bronze Member

Post by Phil6N »

We i had fun yesterday, my thermostat decided to stay closed when i was in the middle of knowwhere. Steam started coming thorugh the interior vents, n the warning light came on, n steam started pouring out the bonnet. Not good. So i let it cool (so i thought), but didnt leave it to cool enough, undid the cap and wooosh. The result:
Image :lol: :roll:
So then with a blisterd hand walked to the nearest house, bout 2miles. Got shouted at cause the owner came through the gate after me thought i was breaking into his property,(id only knocked on the door). After sorting it out, i got some water. Filled my system back up. But then it was still over heating, gutted. Got towed home by mr RAC van.
it was the thermostat. Gonna change d housing aswell (£43 tho :wink: )
I knew it was pressurised, just me being impatient. Ahwell, lesson learnt.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

I done the same in my old Pug, but luckily nothing came out, it was just because when I filled the water up, it had got on the manifold.

The steam I could see what just the water burning off :lol:

I was then told by my dad not to open it when it's hot
willy g
Getting There!

Post by willy g »

Looks bad phil,
I had a broken thermostat housing and changed it along with the thermostat. The new thermostat opened up but never closed again i dont think cos my car heats up and cols down eractically i just cant be arsed to look at it again
Mk4Mexican
Bronze Member

Post by Mk4Mexican »

thats one nasty blister! ouch!! yeah, the first thing i got told the first day i started driving was bout not to open the it when hot, and to have a bottle of water always in my car, so only the best for my ride, and got a 2ltrs bottle of evian in my boot!