QUICK HELP NEEDED WITH INDUCTION KIT QUESTION>>>>

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
1stcarsapolo
Bronze Member

QUICK HELP NEEDED WITH INDUCTION KIT QUESTION>>>>

Post by 1stcarsapolo »

I currently have a drilled airbox in my 1.0 litre 8v polo 6n.
Sounds good for a free modification ......... but i was up in Halford the other day and seen a universal fitting mushroom shape Ripspeed induction kit for just forty euro. I was thinkin of getting it to check it out because it was so cheap. It would no doubt fit under the bonnet and it said it fitted throttle bodies(think that is the right word) down to 60mm.....

I was just wondering what size is the 1.0 litre polo one and would it fit?! Also I dont know if I would have to do anything with the oil breather pipe?! not sure if there is a pipe for it on the induction kit..... if not what do I do?!

Quick replies wiould me much appreciated as I have a brief window to get to the shop tomorrow morning durning my busy weekend as it's quite a drive away.

THANKS ALL!
dragon_green
Gold Member

Post by dragon_green »

i think most people take the breather pipe off when they put an induction kit on.
1stcarsapolo
Bronze Member

Post by 1stcarsapolo »

take it off completely or just leave it loose?! Dunno if that could be too good for it. Ive seen tiny cone filters around too I thought I might need to put one of them on the end of the pipe.

Anybody else any idea???
dragon_green
Gold Member

Post by dragon_green »

1stcarsapolo, this is my understanding of the breather system:

-Some exhaust gas will always escape past the piston rings into the crankcase.
-As engine speed increases, more gas (products of combustion) will escape into the crankcase, increasing pressure in the engine block.
-The aim of the breather is to direct these gasses out of the engine block, and back into the cylinders so that they can be ejected from the engine via the exhaust. It is a method of emission control.
-However, oil is being distributed inside the crankcase. You don't want oil going back into the engine (because then you'll be burning oil which would make the emissions very bad, and more oil top-ups are needed).
-There is a filter at the base of the breather system to stop oil going back into the top of the engine.
1stcarsapolo
Bronze Member

Post by 1stcarsapolo »

Firstly i would like to appologise as i am slightly drunk writing this but i still love my polo and lovce talkin about cars....Sound man thanks. I was off on the seacrh for a universal filter today. Found a few possibilities.... some mushroom shaped ones... I chose these as they would fit under the bonnet. Still not sure about the trottle body diameter and what adaptor I would need..... Think its about 55mm/60mm... Anybody help?! Cheers
Ant_6n
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_6n »

i bought a universal filter for about £15 i just took out the panel filter from the airbox then fitted the air filter to the end of the feeder hose that goes to the air box. sounds good all i need is to fit the cold air feed and bodge up a heat shield cos where it sits is right near the manifold, near the right side headlight.
BLACK6N_POLO
Silver Member

Post by BLACK6N_POLO »

do u have pictures of this please mate!
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

don't leave the hose just dangling!
it will p*ss oil after awhile as i found out!
you'll need to get yourself a universal breather filter to fit on the end

-Ben-
Ant_6n
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_6n »

BLACK6N_POLO wrote:do u have pictures of this please mate!
who was this directed at? if it was me ill get some pics up soon ive got one of those universal induction kits in the for sale section.same as mine just diferent colour.

ant
BLACK6N_POLO
Silver Member

Post by BLACK6N_POLO »

ye sorry if i was unclear it was directed at you mate (Ant_6n) -- i would like to see the universal filter on the end of the standard air box please
polo boi
Gold Member

Post by polo boi »

1 of these man waz it u were lookin at, the oil breather pipe connects in2 the bottem of it via a pipe leading out of the K&N, im not sure wot diameter this is, but u just replace the whole air filter with this.
BLACK6N_POLO
Silver Member

Post by BLACK6N_POLO »

cheers for that picture mate -- but i wanted to see the filter connected to the standard air box.

i believe the way shown in your picture above- the filter is just sucking in hot air- a heat shield and cold air feed should be added in

thanks for tht mate
polo boi
Gold Member

Post by polo boi »

yea if u want an induction kit, the standard air filter stays on an the pipe leading out from the side of it is where the induction pipe fits on2, theres a guy in the forum that has it done, its either, jay or RR Livi
Ant_6n
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_6n »

this is how ive got mine fitted
coincidentally ive got a few of these for sale if anybody is interested for £20 posted can get them in chrome blue or red.

cheers ant
RR Livi
Bronze Member

Post by RR Livi »

lol same as me :D