rocker cover

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
rn1988
Getting There!

rocker cover

Post by rn1988 »

the right hand bolt on my rocker cover has come loose and will not screw in or anything,is there any damage that can be caused from this not fitting and can it be replaced?
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

Can you pull it out...it may have snapped... :(
If not check down the thread incase its worn away somehow, theyre really cheap to buy from vw only bout 3 quid or somethin...jus' careful puttin it back cause they only tighten up the tinyest amount.
I learned the hard way
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

i think that is what has happened cus lookin down the hole i can see a thread and a part that looks like its snapped.

what is the best way of getting the thread out if it has sheared off?
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

Youll have to use a bolt extractor, basically what you do is drill a small hole down the centre of the bolt (very carefully :P) doesnt have to go a long way down. Just enought to thread the extractor in. And basically the extractor is like a threaded cone shape with a handle thing on it which you tighten down (reverse thread) and as it tightens into the hole you drilled into the bolt it undoes it.

Id think most decent garages would do it for you, but try and use someone you trust cause i can imagine you could make a right hash of it.

For tightening up the new bolt (if you do it yourself) youll want to tighten it up as much as you can with your fingers then just do a quater turn with your ratchet and that should be tight enough. Like I said before its really easy to snap them.

Just let me know if there's anything else mate, Hope this helps
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

Oh and just an idea.

When I was extracting mine, I hit the centre of the snapped bit of bolt with a punch (ready for drilling) and it turned. I then used the punch and a small hammer to tap the snapped bit anti-clockwise and it screwed out.

It can take a little while to do this but its worth a try before you get an extractor. Its just whether its snapped too far down to get a punch in or not
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

is it an easy(ish) job then?
im not sure if i have done it myself or if the previous owner as i havent had it long.
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

Ah I see.

It shouldn't be overly difficult, just take your time and don't rush it.
Stuff like making sure the drill bit is exactly right and making sure youve punched a good dent in the top of the bolt for the drill bit to get started are super important.

I'd have a go getting it out with a punch though if you can as it might come out really easily.

Good luck mate 8)
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

do the bolts on the rocker cover actually go much further than just holding the rocker cover on because if not it wont be as important as i was first thinking