The dangers of tinting?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Polo NI
New

The dangers of tinting?

Post by Polo NI »

I'm thinking of tinting my windows but first I'd like to know afew things, also note that Im not willing to pay someone £130 to do it just to pay £120 for labor...

The radiator strips at the back, do I put the film over that? if so will it be damaged or have a high risk of being damaged if I ever have to take the tints off?

Is the film easy to remove?

And does it lower your insurance, increase it, or doesnt affect it?
Dirty Engineer
New

Post by Dirty Engineer »

shouldnt effect your insurance, because it's not something that will make your car go faster, it's just a visual thing, and i think its quite easy to get off although im guessing if it's left on for years there might be a bit of trouble getting it off, but still best be carefull!
Polo NI
New

Post by Polo NI »

Anyone got any ideas about the radiator strips?
WildChild
Silver Member

Post by WildChild »

When i brought my MK2 it had a self tinting job done on the rear window over the window heating stripes, it had been there for about 4 years and i pealed it off without any problems at all.

Also, i must tell you that having tried tinting myself, i would spend the £130 for it to be done professionally.

The problem you face is that you will almost certainly leave kreses in the tinting because its so sensitive and very difficult to apply properly.

Also, you face the problem that unless you peel it off whilst its still slightly sticky (the tint), when you peel it off you will have to pull it off with a heat gun or hair drier to make sure you dont leave bits of tint on your window, this usually requires you taking the window out.

Spend the money.. unless your wanting a rat look, ie a look that makes your window look like its cracked.
ZOMBIE
Bronze Member

Post by ZOMBIE »

heater strips will be fine

as long as you cut the tints to size before hand, by good quality tint and use lots of water in a squirty spray bottle with a little soap and take your time you will be fine. Polo kris has done his and they look pukka- ask him for tips. i did the windows in my mk3 golf- tip for the back is to do it in 3 parts lining the edges up with the heater lines :D
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

ZOMBIE wrote:heater strips will be fine

Polo kris has done his and they look pukka- ask him for tips.
true, and thanks tom my man!! :wink:

its not as bad as ppl think... patients is all u need, and u need to be handy!! :D

its got instructions.... if u fluck it up.... if u got the money, peel it off and try again... and when u matered it... u can do ur mates cars! :wink: lol
tupac2makaveli71
Silver Member

Post by tupac2makaveli71 »

yeah its not too hard....get thick tint as opposed to cheap thin tint! and get the proper card, its 3 drops of johnsons baby shampoo to one bottle of water! pm me for help if you want, iv done my mk2 polo, mk1 golf and rear windows of my mums crv!