how to reset service interval

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
doug
New

Post by doug »

mk4ads wrote:Anyone any idea what the SERV INSP actually means? I've had the OIL one come up before but now I have the SERV INSP and I'm not exactly sure what I'm ment to be doing, is it basically just a full service like oil, plugs, air filter, check cambelt etc
i have the same problem as this, help us!!
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Thats what I take it as meaning ( full service) it seems to be there as a reminder, to save you looking through your log book to find out when you need a service. Mines on at the moment so I'm going to go to do it now. Il let you know how I get on.
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Yep it worked :D Its really easy aswell I'm no brain box and I've managed to do both of them on first attempts. Would a garage honestly charge you for doing that? Happy now because it was starting to annoy me. Thanks Guys.
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

mbenz1 wrote:can you help me with mine,

when i do it on mine after step 4 it just says OEL and if i press the reset button its changes to IN01 and if i press it again it it goes to IN02 then if i press it again it goes back to OEL and so on. this goes away when i switch the ign on again.

you say wait till all the lights go off but on mine the oil, battery and handbrake just stay on with ignition

this is wierd because my polo has always been serviced at veedub

plz hlp
This is exactly what happens to me. OEL is still displayed too. Mk4 polo 1997. So im not sure why it doesnt work here. Maybe you have to start the engine? Anyone got any ideas why it doesnt work for us two?
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

I have just found in the hayes manual (1994-1999 mk4 polo) this information, which differs a bit from the other information.

here is what it says:

up to 1998 model year

1. before reseting make sure you are in total mileage
2. switch on the ignition (do not start the engine) press and hold the button to the left of the speedometer
3. switch off the ignition, then release the button. The display should read OEL
4. Now press the digital clock lower button on the right- hand side of the instrument panel until five dashes appear on the display. The OEL service is now reset
5. By pressing the left-hand button again the next service interval can be displayed, and then reset by pressing the right hand button.
6. Reset as many services as necessary, until switching on the ignition only shows IN 00 (no service required) on the display

1998 model onwards

7. the service interval display cannot be reset without special vw fault code reading equipment, refer to your vw dealer