Gearbox....

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
olop_chris
Sponsor

Gearbox....

Post by olop_chris »

Well you've heard it all before! Mine decided to go about a 5 minute drive away from home after coming back from the polo show today!

The bloke who picked me up from the RAC and said had been a VW mechanic for 15 years strangely enough.

He mentioned a company called "Ace gear boxes" in Northampton as a good place to get a reconditioned box...has anybody used these?

If not can someone suggest where they got a reconditioned box? About every GTi owner now has had their box go so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Gutted :cry:
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Gutted mate :(
BENNO
Getting There!

Post by BENNO »

mine went about a week ago. gutting but i knew about the problems before i bought. just hoped id be luky!
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

BENNO wrote:mine went about a week ago. gutting but i knew about the problems before i bought. just hoped id be luky!
What are you doing about it? if you dont mind me asking?

I was preparing myself for this to happen about a month ago i thought it would be happeneing soon...
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Gutted for you Chris, was there any warning signs?
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Yeah, well i heard noises from my clutch a while ago, possibly my thrust bearings that didn't sound too healthy, and i thought to myself that my gearbox sounds on its way soon also.

Then coming back round some country roads near my house, just heard a whining noise and thats when i thought "uh oh"....then *CLUNK* and i stopped! i was waiting nearly 2 hours for the RAC chap

Never got to play football after all lol, was good catching up with you again anyway mate.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Nighmare.

Yeah you too mate, was good to finally meet Scott properly as well, as well as both of your other halves :D
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

CymruPolo wrote:That's **** Chris :(

What kind of noises were you getting from the clutch?
It was like a catching noise, hard to explain really!

Ive just been on the phone with Ace Gearboxes LTD in Northampton, they can get me a recond box for £475+VAT.

I just need to know wether the AVY GTi box is Cable change linkage or Rod change linkage?

Thanks in advance
Prash
Silver Member

Post by Prash »

olop_chris wrote:
CymruPolo wrote:That's **** Chris :(

What kind of noises were you getting from the clutch?
It was like a catching noise, hard to explain really!

Ive just been on the phone with Ace Gearboxes LTD in Northampton, they can get me a recond box for £475+VAT.

I just need to know wether the AVY GTi box is Cable change linkage or Rod change linkage?

Thanks in advance

Its Rod change linkage I think, and lupo gti boxes are cable change (with hydralic clutch). see here:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php? ... rod+change
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Hmmm cheers for the link, though its just got people saying its cable, then its rod lol.

Hopefully i can find out by today
Prash
Silver Member

Post by Prash »

I'm 99% sure its rod change, but not 100 % :oops:
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

I just rung volkswagen and they told me its cable...do i believe him and order the box and hope its the right one? :?
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Gutted for you Chris.

I am REALLY apprehensive about this happening to my car, as I can't afford the expense, or inconvience of being without a car. Although I don't have any signs, I am overly warey of ANY noise i hear.

I am amazed VW have not taken note and seemed to have ignored/overlooked this major design fault. I can't believe how many 6n2 gti's it has happened to.

Not too bad a quote for the re-conditioned box, i assume labour for fitting is on top of that?

Fingers crossed you get it sorted without too much hassle.
Ant_43
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_43 »

I took my car in this morning to have my box looked at after some dodgy noises which have been getting worse recently. I'm not too sure about the price yet until the garage know whats up with it. Fingers crossed it's not a whole new box!