Gearbox....

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

mk4 glx 1.6 wrote:Gutted for you Chris.

I am REALLY apprehensive about this happening to my car, as I can't afford the expense, or inconvience of being without a car. Although I don't have any signs, I am overly warey of ANY noise i hear.

I am amazed VW have not taken note and seemed to have ignored/overlooked this major design fault. I can't believe how many 6n2 gti's it has happened to.

Not too bad a quote for the re-conditioned box, i assume labour for fitting is on top of that?

Fingers crossed you get it sorted without too much hassle.
Yeah im amazed at their imcompetence on the 6n2 GTi, they have blatently ignored the problem!

Labour fitting will be ontop of the price yeah, i use a local garage at the back of where i work, he does me some good prices so hopefully the labour wont hurt me too much.

Hopefully people can post up their experiences and prices if they dont mind me asking. Then i can get back on the road after its all sorted!
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

So is there a way to fix a weak gearbox, or are 6n2 owners doomed to buying a recon box every time his/hers decides to go bang ?
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

100% sure it's Rod change mate. My gear linkage seal have worn and it's leaking gearbox oil. Looked under the car and there's rod there. My box haven't gone yet, lol. But my thurst bearing has
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Its just scary! Like "mk4 glx 1.6" I'm bloody petrified of my gearbox going *pop* at any given moment :? which IMO is not how the ownership experience should be! Still... the pros far outweight the cons at the moment so I just put it to the back of my mind and cross my fingers :shock:

The gearbox issue got me thinking actually, how often is the gearbox oil supposed to be changed? I've had my Polo for three years now and the oil hasn't been changed... to my knowledge!! :|
nickpolo
Gold Member

Post by nickpolo »

the polo gti gearbox is cable linkage i'm sure of it
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Yeah i was told cable linkeage, but everyone says different things. But i think im going to listen to it being cable
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

I heard someone say that VW have this jig thing to re-align the linkages?

Surely it must be Rods then
chronic7001
New

Post by chronic7001 »

Open up the bonnet and have a look at the top of your gearbox, mines an ARC engine and thats def a cable clutch as i did the clutch on mine a few months back
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

Cable clutch YES, but the linkages from the gear lever is another matter
Prash
Silver Member

Post by Prash »

DubGTI wrote:I heard someone say that VW have this jig thing to re-align the linkages?

Surely it must be Rods then
Good point !
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

...How confusing :?
Silky V
Gold Member

Post by Silky V »

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

My gearbox went as well yesterday night. :cry:

There are signs for when it is going. I used to hear a crunching noise when changing gears and sometimes it felt like the whole gearbox was going to fall out.

When it happened there was a huge whining noise which went away after the clutch was left out of gear. But the first sign yesterday was when there was so pull from the car. I'm totally gutted, however I was planning to get it done on monday so i'm not to disappointed.

All I can say is that i'm going to write to VW if I have time and see what they say.
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Yeah Silky that sounds about right, I think i will be sending a letter to VW also...its not on.
hot_polo
Bronze Member

Post by hot_polo »

Silky V wrote:Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

My gearbox went as well yesterday night. :cry:

There are signs for when it is going. I used to hear a crunching noise when changing gears and sometimes it felt like the whole gearbox was going to fall out.

When it happened there was a huge whining noise which went away after the clutch was left out of gear. But the first sign yesterday was when there was so pull from the car. I'm totally gutted, however I was planning to get it done on monday so i'm not to disappointed.

All I can say is that i'm going to write to VW if I have time and see what they say.
oh bol**ks, ive just started grinding my 5th a few times recently too...once or twice when ive given it some stick tried to change it from 2nd gear into 5th it wouldnt go in and it would grind. And somtimes it doesnt change down from 5th gear to 4th.