New polo, new problems?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

New polo, new problems?

Post by shantybeater »

Hi guys, I just joined up today, been thinking/dreaming about getting a polo gti for ages, so finally bought one...only problem is I have spent so long researching the car I have become totally neurotic..or I hope I have.

Basically I picked the car up from a dealer yesterday in kent, when i got to the first set of traffic lights it stalled :shock: It then didnt seem very keen to start back up, but did so after some motivation, i then drove it straight to bournemouth so around 150miles no problem although it was mostly motorway, so assumed no problem.

I then woke up this morning and started it up no probs, drove to the petrol station and drove straight home, i then left the car running and opened the bonnet as there seems to be some sort of hissing sound coming from what looks to be the cambelt, the car then stalled again, tried starting it up but the idle went irratic and it stalled again.

Is there a chance my cambelt is on the way out? i'm wetting myself about the thought of it going, its done 48k at the mo & hasn't had it changed. Anything else it could be?
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Post by ICEYPOLO »

hissing sounds more like the alternator belt... cant help with the stalling problem as i never had that on mine... could try cleaning the throttle body - do a search and i'm sure there will be posts about the same issues!?

scott
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

Cheers for the help, i'm planning on getting it checked over just incase. I realised it stalled straight after filling up. Both times the car had been really low on petrol so i'm assuming its s**t in the bottom of tank maybe getting into the engine? gonna keep her filled up from now on :)
danthemanpologti
Bronze Member

Post by danthemanpologti »

mine hisses till its nice n warm its just the beld dont worry note serious. n mine also used to cut out but cleaned the throtel body n its fine!!!!
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

as you bought from a deealer, get on the phone to them asap. You get 12 months warranty on a used car from VW.

Maybe hassle taking it back that far to get sorted, but if FOC and for peace of mind, I would say it would be worth a day off to do so. Good luck in getting it sorted.
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

Thanks for the replies, sadly its not a VW dealer I bought it from, just some dodgy garage, I don't reckon it stalls often enough for them to bother to do anything, it stalled again on my way to the VW garage at lunch, once again a short drive, the car was fine starting up..a few traffic lights later it got unhappy idle and the revs jumped up, I then tried to pull away from the lights and it sort of kangarooed..stalled but the engine was still running afterwards...even the battery light came up!.

Another question for you guys, do you know what type of bulb I need for the rear taillight? is it just a standard polo 1999 onwards? (looking at halfords as VW quoted 45 quid!)

I also asked about new BBS Rims...£500 quid each!! oh my god and finally they quoted £385 for a cambelt change, is that about right?

Cheers for the help