Booked the polo in for a cambelt change.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Petrified
Sponsor

Booked the polo in for a cambelt change.

Post by Petrified »

The FSI was booked in for a cambelt change today, it's on 46,000 miles now. got to the garage, left the car. an hour later aget a phone call and told that it's chain driven and doesnt need replacing for another 40,000 miles.

:shock: never knew that! :lol:

and nor did vw by the sounds of it :roll:

cheap round :P
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Is that because it's and FSI or generally the 9n has a chain driven?

Mine needs doing soon ie asap
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

just the 1.4 fsi.
im just supprised as I assumed it was a belt
M7
Gold Member

Post by M7 »

im pretty sure they are all chain driven as my timing chain slipped! check my post in here
http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... 410#193410

the chain slipped a few teeth knocking the cams out of sync...if that makes sense

*i f'all about engines, so i hope this is what you mean :lol:
Spammy
New

Post by Spammy »

I've been told by VW my cambelt needs doing within the next year. So I presume they're right... :?
alanred
Getting There!

Post by alanred »

I took mine to the dealer i got it from for a service and cambelt change back in August, they told me it needed the cambelt changing at 40k and quoted me £370 :shock: I took it to a different dealer and they told me it doesn't have a cambelt, it's chain driven which only needs attention if it's slipped, just out of curiosity i phoned 2 other dealers and they said the same....chain driven. It just confirms what i always knew that Gilbert Lawton Manchester are complete tossers who only want your money for nothing in return, also told Vw uk about what they said, still waiting for them to ring me back, it's only been 3 months :o
In the end i took it to Vw Bury and got a service for £125. G.Lawton wanted £180....joke !
As for the top speed i've never floored it...sorry.
I'm getting 94 miles out of £10 around town....not bad really.
darkman
New

Post by darkman »

My 1.9 TDI had the cambelt changed in july as per 4 years or 60,000 miles. These engines have a cambelt. The 1.9, correct me if I'm wrong, is a 30 year old design. The more modern engines must be chain driven then or am I talking nonsense :?
Buzby
Sponsor

Post by Buzby »

On the 1.9tdi's the cambelt has to drive the pd injectors which operate from the cam. So this puts the belt under more strain than on a normal engine. Probably one of the reasons for going to chain driven cams is down to extended service intervals..
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

VW Dunstable tell me my 1.4 tdi MY02 is belt driven - will have to ring around (hoping it's chain driven lol)
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

I'm sure its quite easy to check yourself on petrol engines (possibly the same on diesels), just need to unclip the two clips on the cover and you can see it? Probably have a look at mine tommorow.

According to VW mines due, so would like it to be chain driven too :D
Goosey
New

Post by Goosey »

Had my cambelt replaced at 60K (no chain) for 1.4 TDI :cry:
logistix
Silver Member

Post by logistix »

all TDIs are belt driven, the belt is visible if you remove the engine cover. I didn't know about petrol engines being chain driven though.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Had a look at mine today. Took less than 2mins to wip the cover off. Mine is a Timing belt :cry:

At a guess, I think only the FSI and the 3 cylinder 1.2's would have a timing chain as they are newly developed engines, as opposed to diesel engines and the 1.4 75/100bhp ones.
Diesel_Rally
New

Post by Diesel_Rally »

Yup, my 1.4tdi had its cambelt changed at 36K!! All under warantee though, phew. :D
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Diesel_Rally wrote:Yup, my 1.4tdi had its cambelt changed at 36K!! All under warantee though, phew. :D
How did you manage that as wear and tear items are not covered under warranty i thought?