Upgrading your BMC Cold Air Feed

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Upgrading your BMC Cold Air Feed

Post by Mouse_GTI »

This is just a basic guide to upgrading your cold air feed by replacing the OE feed and the piping supplied with the BMC kit.

First you need some new ducting. Search for "COLD AIR FEED INDUCTION DUCTING 2 3/4" 70MM ID 1 METRE" on ebay. It is only £16.45 a metre which is enough for this job. Here is a picture of my engine bay with the old ducting and OE feed, with the new ducting pictured also:

Now you need to remove the old ducting and OE feed. Undo the jubilee clips to release the old ducting. It may be crap but don't throw it away as you will need it again later. Mine had a rip in it around half the diameter of the ducting so I just ripped it off :D

Now to tackle the OE feed...this may try your patience! Push the feed to the left slightly and look under. You will notice a bolt holding the whole thing in place

To get better access, hold back the OE feed with some strong tape.

You can also move the power steering fluid reservoir by pushing it upwards out of its three mountings. Make sure you don't damage the tubes. Now you can have better access to the bolt. It's best tackling it with a small spanner as access is still a little tight

Once you undo the bolt the OE feed should just pull out. It's up to you what to do with it now

Now the space for the original is revealed

The edge shown may damage the new ducting over time with vibrations, so cover it up with a few layers of tape to be on the safe side

Now its time to fit the new ducting. I found that tightening the jubilee clip onto the BMC with the new ducting wasn't holding it as firmly as I liked. So take the old ducting and cut a piece about 2cm big and place it over the inlet of the BMC. This acts as a spacer to hold the new ducting better when you tighten the jubilee clip

Finally you need to position the other end of the ducting into the space for the air feed. The height is about 2 inches so you will need to compress the end of it slightly to get a good fit. This is the most complicated part as you have little room to work with. Check with a torch to see if the end of the ducting has gone into the gap. The tape at the bottom of the gap is a good reference. Just play around until you get it

Now stand back and admire the work then take her for a spin :lol:

EDIT: I've discovered a hole in the ducting where it has been sitting against the brake fluid reservoir, so if anyone is following this guide it would be helpful if you wrap some duct tape around the point of contact to reduce friction
Last edited by Mouse_GTI on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

good little diy guide there
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

exactly the same as mine, that feed is really good stuff for the price!
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

Would that size Cold air feed fit into the standard airbox? or does it only fit into the BMC?

Thanks
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

69mm. The ducting is 70mm, hence I used the old ducting (which is 69mm) as a spacer for a tighter fit with the jubilee clip
Rupy
Bronze Member

Post by Rupy »

Excellent guide. I'll be doing this this week hopefully :D
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

hmmm. i myt attempt this lol. dont know if i dare messs around with my car enginee tho:O:O if i brought it down to you one day could you do it??? and by the way what does this do:S wouldnt it be more benificial to go and buy a performance one?
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

Hardcore wrote:hmmm. i myt attempt this lol. dont know if i dare messs around with my car enginee tho:O:O if i brought it down to you one day could you do it??? and by the way what does this do:S wouldnt it be more benificial to go and buy a performance one?

the BMC CDA is a perfomance airfilter. its 100000 times better than a green cotten or K&n filter.

the point of this mod is to direct the air flow from a cold place ( ie the wing) to the engine for better performance.

if you had ever noticed your car performes so much better on a cold foggy morning than a hot summers day, thats the effect your trying to create by drawing as much cold air in as possible.

some auto-x cars have airintakes where the headlamps are supposed to be and barry boy cars replace the foglights with air intakes or air "rams"
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Hardcore wrote:hmmm. i myt attempt this lol. dont know if i dare messs around with my car enginee tho:O:O if i brought it down to you one day could you do it??? and by the way what does this do:S wouldnt it be more benificial to go and buy a performance one?
You coming all the way up from Derby to Aberdeen? :lol: Don't worry about it, it's a pretty simple job. No harm done to the engine
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

aberdeen. a little drive doesnt bother me :D how much would you charge me?
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

is this the air filter where you can attatch a pipe to one end, of the filter, and have it going throo a whole in the bumper where a light used to be. am i making sence??
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I'm gunna be doing this soon! Mouse There are 3 pics missing are they necsessary?
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

one quick question..

is it necessary to remove the old OC feed.. cant you just add the piping to the end of that??

sorry.. 2 quick questions lool...

i changed mine the other day, just to a K+N but will be getting a BMC CDA wen i get a little more cash. but isnt it more effective to use the ram air technique.. since youve payed s**t loads of money for the air intake, mayaswell put it to its max potentiel.. dont you think???
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Hardcore wrote:one quick question..

is it necessary to remove the old OC feed.. cant you just add the piping to the end of that??

sorry.. 2 quick questions lool...

i changed mine the other day, just to a K+N but will be getting a BMC CDA wen i get a little more cash. but isnt it more effective to use the ram air technique.. since youve payed **** loads of money for the air intake, mayaswell put it to its max potentiel.. dont you think???

whats ram air technique?

Yeh you could use a bit of the original piping, like pictured in the first place. This air feed however is one straight pipe, so there's no restrictions
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

ram air thingy is where you take the piping straight to a hole in your front bumper. soo.. as you pick up speed. the air is forced into the BMC filter., and straight into the intake...

front bumper..---(piping)------[bmc air filter]-----(more piping)---[air intake]

therefore..its not lsucking like a K+N as air is straight into it..

may need a re-map on your car aswell to get the max potentiol.