what alloy wheel cleaner?

Detailing & Bodywork
afcjay
Getting There!

what alloy wheel cleaner?

Post by afcjay »

whats the best alloy wheel cleaner in your view that doesnt wreck them? also what wheel sealent to use?
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

I use hot water, Meguiars NXT car shampoo, and a Microfibre wash mitt. Then dried off with a waffle weave drying towel. Cleans my RXII's perfectly.

For the wheel wax, go for This
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

I use Meguiars Hot Rims 8)
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

is this any good with the rxII's?
afcjay
Getting There!

Post by afcjay »

ModifiedMadness wrote:I use Meguiars Hot Rims 8)
got some myself today dont really know what to think really as only gave them a quick going over today.the thing i didnt likeabout it is you have to wash the wheels before applying it.not really what i would expect from a product discribed as "alloy wheel cleaner".
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

I'd hardly say you have to clean them, I just give them a quick blast with the jet wash to wet them and get a bit off, then spray it on and clean them properly
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

I just use soapy water to wash, then t-cut to remove tar stains then autoglym car polish to finish off, cheapest and one of the most effective ways!
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

I also use the poorboys wheel sealent. Good stuff like, much easier with the wheels of the car though!
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

hot water with fairy liqud:D or any soap, with a tooth brush ;)
polopimp
New

Post by polopimp »

im a valeter for VW and we always use wheel acid from auto glym just spray it on and jet it off. to get all the tar and brake dust off. then dry em off and use some auto glym show shine just spray that on an polish it off. then use rubber cleaner and slick them up also from auto glym.
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

How good are these on water marks? can you still see the marks?

I'v got plenty of marks and i'v only had the rims for 2 weeks. Problem is I don't have winters and the water sits on the dished lip so water does drain off :(
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

If you have polished lips, DO NOT go near acidic wheel cleaners or most off-the-shelf brands. Pick up some Wheel Sealant and stick 3 or so layers on each wheel. Wash them with car shampoo and water, using either a microfibre wash mitt (the Meguiar's one is decent) or a lambswool wash mitt.

A good way to keep on top of the polished lip, is to use a good metal polish, like Belgom Alu (available from Elitecarcare) or even use something like P21S polishing soap:

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/p21spolishsoap.html

I also know that the same product is more widely available, as it's sold by JML (usually sold in woolworth's), renamed as "Doktor Power":

http://www.jmldirect.com/Doktor-Power-PD0513/

Never, EVER use wheel acid though. I've seen what it does to wheels :shock:
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

Cheers for the advice Ollie, tried just boiling hot water with fairy liquid then wipe em off, which had no effect. You can spot the marks a mile off :( Nearly bought an acidic cleaner but luckily the guy at Motorworld told me to stay away, which I was thinking too.
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

:shock:

Ffffffairy liquid...on wheels *faints*

You should be able to get rid of the watermarks with a decent metal polish applied with some cotton cloth or a microfibre cloth. Boiling hot water won't shift it either.