Polo GTI, Lupo GTI, Golf GTI RACE!!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I had my X plate GTI on a weigh bridge and it came in just under 1100kg with no driver and around half a tank of petrol.

My friend used to have a MK3 GTi with the 2L 8v engine (same as in the MK4) and on a back road I could easily wind him in in 3rd and by the top of 4th I would be past him (just).

With a 1.8T Golf I recon you could stay close to about 80-90ish then the Golf would pull away, I've had a run in with a TDI Golf and he only started to edge past me at 120.
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

Mouse_GTI wrote:The Polo GTI is about the same as the 1.8T Mk4 Golf's and will beat most Mk4 GTI's!. It won't beat the anniversary or the Mk5
polo Gti nearly as quick as golf gti 1.8t

you wish!
GTILass
Sponsor

Post by GTILass »

i can confirm that polo GTis are a faaaaaaaaaaaaair amount nippier than a mark 4 Golf GTI 2.0 8v ................my mum has the golf :wink: (although we've only tested them to 70mph!)

But at the end of the day, they're all pretty close, would depend on drivers abilities mainly
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

jezmk4 wrote:
Mouse_GTI wrote:The Polo GTI is about the same as the 1.8T Mk4 Golf's and will beat most Mk4 GTI's!. It won't beat the anniversary or the Mk5

you wish!
Check the specs on p1. Golf is 8.2, Polo is 8.4. Not exactly a huge difference :wink:
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

jezmk4 wrote:

you wish!
going by the specs, its alot closer than i thought it was gonna be! The 150bhp isnt that quick at all. Dad used to have the 150 bhp 1.8T A3. A couple of minor tweeks to the Polo, and it can be had for breakfast i think!
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Couple of minor tweeks to the 1.8T tho and it'll be close to 200bhp
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

Mouse_GTI wrote:
jezmk4 wrote:

you wish!
Check the specs on p1. Golf is 8.2, Polo is 8.4. Not exactly a huge difference :wink:
yes

I am fully aware of what the on-paper specs may say,

but I prefer to derive my conclusions from reality, rather than some manufacturer provided numbers

a nice simple test,

1/4 mile strip at santa pod,

Standard polo gti, will get mid to low 16s

Standard golf gti, will get mid to low 15s

that's a massive difference
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I'm with Jez on that one.
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

So am I.
The Polo is a nippy car no doubt.
But its not a racer.
The power may be there, but the extra tourque from that 20v engine kills the Polo.
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

But the 1.6 still puts out quite respectable figures
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Without a doubt!
Other than my Renault, its my favourite engine of any car Ive drove or owned.
The way it moved from 5krpm I love it.
Thats the reason why Ive never got more than 200 miles out of a tank!
Wish the gear ratios were designed like a GTI than a VW.
IMO the only thing (well other than the under steer) that lets the car down is the gearbox.
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

I've tested my 0-60 and 1/4 mile time with VAG-COM, and the results =
0-60 = 8.0s
1/4 = 16.0s
Thats with the road damp and also i didn't warm up my tyres. I reckon i could push it to high 15's and high 7's if the conditions are right. I was quite impressed when i read them. I'll try and get a copy of the results on here
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Vag.com reads from the speedo doesnt it?
ie. slightly over.
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Tigz wrote:Vag.com reads from the speedo doesnt it?
ie. slightly over.
Its more accurate than the speedo there is a delibarate knock out of the speedo. When I had mine if you got the diagnostics up on the climate screen and then the speedo in MPH it was give or take 1mph bang on compared to GPS, the speedo was generally a constant 6% out all the way round.

Its defo delibarate on VAGs part as when I think autocar tested a Passat W8 or V6 and they posted the speedo compared to every 10mph increase in speed and the press/demo cars speedo was only 0 to 1mph out right round to 100. yet all the public cars were between 5-8% out, I'm sure it was the same with the MK5 GTi.

In my Golf I know if I set cruise at 3000 revs which should be 80 in 6th, the speedo reads 84 however if I reset the average mph trip it reads the average speed as 80mph, I sure it will have a similair trick with the climate to get the speed up that way however never really looked for the codes.

I did a 16.1 or 16.01 in my Polo (can't remeber exactly) 1/4 mile in my standard car, I've seen a modded silver GTI stripped run 15.7 1/4 miles. I don't think a standard 150bhp 1.8T Glof can run a low 15 1/4 mile as a standard Ibiza Cupra which is lighter struggles to get under a 15.5 run unless it gets a perfect start.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

no one seems to be taking the torque into account?

the 150bhp turbo golf has what around 155lbft?
the pologti 125bhp cant have much more than 112lbft?

although any mk4 golf i've raced on the strip have been well sloooooooww

I took my g40 up on sunday 132bhp/133lbft and only 15.7 1/4's :oops: :oops: 1-0 to the lupo!