Anyone who has done a 16v conversion

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
mk4ads
Bronze Member

Anyone who has done a 16v conversion

Post by mk4ads »

Need as much detail as possible please just trying to get as much info as i can before diving in at the deepend and doing a 8v-16v conversion on my mk4

I've got a couple questions, but any hints, tips, info you can give to help would be mucho appreciated!

Here goes with the questions..

1) Who do i have to notify about the engine swap and what do i tell em (dvla?) ?

2) What exactly is it i need to take off the doner car (im hopeing to get hold of a whole car but if not i need to know what bits i need to take off) ?

3) What additional parts may i need to purchase (engine mount rubbers, oils etc?) ?

4) As the doner car will more than likely be a write off the insurance would of took the keys so is there anyway of getting them back, and if not can i use my current keys with my current ignition barrel or is that not possible?

Thats all i can think of for now, but like i say as much help as possible would be fantastic!

Thanks

Adrian

P.S. I've got use of a 4 poster ramp in a nice warm warehouse and fork truck with 2 ex-vw mechanics, 1 pug mechanic and 1 general mechanic so im hopeing things will be simple :) Thanks again
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

I'll try and get Mark on here as soon as I see him on MSN.

He did an 8v-16v conversion in his MK4, so he knows all you need to know :)
Col
Bronze Member

Post by Col »

P.S. I've got use of a 4 poster ramp in a nice warm warehouse and fork truck with 2 ex-vw mechanics, 1 pug mechanic and 1 general mechanic so im hopeing things will be simple Thanks again
U lucky bugger!! :D Wish I had that sort of help with my conversion!!

In Northern Ireland there is a form that you can send to dvla with log book, they change the engine number and send it back to you, dunno if it's the same in England but should think it is.

I had the whole car so was a bit spoilt and changed everything :roll: but mine was diesel and a pain to swop!! You'll need the engine, gearbox (get the ds engine mount while you're at it), driveshafts, front brakes/suspension, wiring loom (for engine bay at least), clocks and basically everything in the engine bay, may have abs etc, take it all!! Could be more, what yr is the donor car and what yr is it going into, could need interior loom for clocks and petrol pump.

You'll be best to get new coolant and oil filter and oil, basically the stuff you would change at a service, means it has nothing to complain about!! :lol:

Yes you could use your key and ignition barrel(dependent on year again :( ), if you know someone with VAG-com or maybe the ex-VAG mechanics could get use of the 1551 machine to change the code, think you'll have to get these through VW, can't remember how I got mine, think I got them the chassis number, but on yours it'll probably be erased(check the dashboard, cos they sometimes forget this one :wink: )

I'll catch you on MSN at the weekend again mate if you have any probs or wanna ask anything else
Linz Polo
Getting There!

Post by Linz Polo »

i was thinking about this and now i know what it antails i think i might stick with my 8v lol
Col
Bronze Member

Post by Col »

:lol: not as bad as it sounds..............................ok it is really!! :wink:
mk4ads
Bronze Member

Post by mk4ads »

I cant see it being that difficult, ive got enough help and resources + ive already got 16v break conversion so its just a case of finding an engine!

Anyone know for a 16v engine? :D

Col - ill catch you on msn mate.

Ta

Adrian

Oh yeh.. I phoned my insurance company today and they said that it wont add any extra money onto my policy if i do the 16v conversion and all i have to do is change the engine code on the V5 and send it off.. Cool! :D
chicofrostie
New

Post by chicofrostie »

I'd say that if your car is an early MK4 find and early MK4 doner car, and vica versa if its a late car! Oterwise I'm certain your going to have to swap interior looms as the differ between pre and post 98 cars! I've put a MK5 interior loom in my car so if I can help gimme a shout - my MSN is chicofrostie@hotmail.com
mk4ads
Bronze Member

Post by mk4ads »

Ah yeh i forgot to mention, my car is a 97 which means ive got the later style clocks which means, if im right in thinking, the interior loom is the same?
Axlefoley
New

clocks

Post by Axlefoley »

Very nice set of clocks u have there are they mk5 polo clocks in a mk4 , if they are how did u do it. I was thinkin of doin the same thing to mine.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

he cheated :lol:

he *just* swapped the LEDs for red and blue ones, but from what i can gather it wasnt an easy task
Axlefoley
New

Post by Axlefoley »

Very crafty but still gives the same effect.
Col
Bronze Member

Post by Col »

yeah I cheated!! :lol: Thanks btw!! :D
dubster82
Getting There!

Post by dubster82 »

haha, "just" swapped the LED's..... jeesus it aint easy.

and it aint really a cheat, cause its just exactly the same as newer style clocks, cause thats exactly what VW did.

Looks ace tho, i will get round do doing it at some point :lol: