SHHHHIITT!!! Lost my keys!

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

SHHHHIITT!!! Lost my keys!

Post by Dee-vub »

Oh oh folks! was out last night for a sportsmans dinner......came to my door in a boozy state and realised i had no bloody keys!!!! nightmare!!!!

I first thought i had left them at the dinner, but nope not there....then thought one of the boys thought they'd be funny and nick them, but nope.....so its either the taxi, in the club i was in, or on the bus i used to get home!!! Away to try and call up and investigate.

Anyways, i dont have a spare set, i dont wanna here everyone sayin, aw its crazy not havin a spare set, cos i now know that! :roll:

But what is the next port of call, of i dont have a set to replicate for cutting. Does someone have to come out? or do i have to get in touch with VW??

Cheers folks
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Call the original supplying dealer and get the SKC and key number from them as they'll have them on the system and they'll give you them for free. Also, find out the part number for the key.

Then, call Bolton Lock Company on 01942 811186, speak to sales who'll supply you with a key (probably worth buying 2) cut to the car.

The next bit is harder as the keys will not start the car. You may need VW to recover the car to the dealership or if you know someone with VAG-COM, they should be code them into the car for you as long as they have the SKC. The SKC is on a bit of black plastic that comes with the keys at new...I guess you don't have this!

I order keys from Bolton Lock all the time for my job, and I always get them next day via first class post. About 99% of all UK main dealers use them for keys, even the manufacturers recommend them. As you're a retail customer, you may be expected to fax them a copy of your V5, so be prepared for that. Oh and all the keys they sell are OE, so don't worry, they won't be sending you any crappy pattern ones!

Good luck!
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

Thanks very much for the help bud, that is brilliant!!! How much in terms of costs are we talking in total here? Sounds like it could be very pricy!
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

If I remember rightly, you're looking at about £40 for the key and £5 for the cutting, each.

VW keys are expensive, unfortunately. I've worked with a few manufacturers and European car makers charge well over double what other makes will expect.
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

Buy the remote key from bolton lock. Its easy to code this to the car yourself. You press and hold the unlock button and turn it in the drivers lock a few times.

They're really good on delivery times and you'll probably get the key the next day. You may have to fax or email them the request so they have a comeback if its cut wrong.
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

All good folks, found the key!

one of the lads from football had picked it up as i had left it on the table when i went into town.

I am gonna get a replacement key cut though.

So whats my plan of action?? Buy a key, take to cutter to replicate my key, then take it to volkswagen to get it coded??
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Thank god your mate found it Phil!
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Good news you found it!!!

I only had 1 key for mine for about 18 months and then my cousin found the spare key!
Jackman
New

Post by Jackman »

toXXin wrote:Then, call Bolton Lock Company on 01942 811186, speak to sales who'll supply you with a key (probably worth buying 2) cut to the car.

No way!!! Those guys are great and a bonus for me...... i live.... right behind them :) Can see the building from the house.

Id recommend them to anyone.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

stroke of luck that Phil!!