Wrong gearbox from ACE GEARBOXES!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
1 GTI
Silver Member

Wrong gearbox from ACE GEARBOXES!

Post by 1 GTI »

Had my VW mechanic tonight to take out my GTI box and replace it with a re-con box from ace gearboxes. He looked at the box and compared it with my old one and they've sent me a box for a 6N1 VW Polo 1.4 8V, how they can make that mistake when I gave him my transmission code aswell. Can anybody else confirm their transmission code with mine please, mine is FFW and the engine code is AVY. Cheers people
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

That is extremely careless! I hope they give you a considerable discount for completely wasting your time!!

Sorry, but cant help you out with the codes mate. Good luck with it though :)
hurricane
Getting There!

Post by hurricane »

it should be in your service book at the front : vehicle data

engine ARC my trans code on my gti says ETG

hope this helps matey

Jay
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

Phoned up Ace this morning and told them what happend and he said can you change the bell housing over because he's sure the internals are for a GTI, told him to bugger off. Asked him for my money back and told him to come and collect the box. I can re-build mine for £450 with this guy I know, so im dropping it off to him this afternoon. Thought id let you all know whats happening
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

1 GTI wrote:Phoned up Ace this morning and told them what happend and he said can you change the bell housing over because he's sure the internals are for a GTI, told him to bugger off. Asked him for my money back and told him to come and collect the box. I can re-build mine for £450 with this guy I know, so im dropping it off to him this afternoon. Thought id let you all know whats happening
It is true the casings are the same across the engines, I've heard of a GTi that had the internals put in a 1L boxes casing as the GTIs casing was damaged. I would however get yourbox rebuilt at least you know the full history of it and that all the required bits will get replaced.
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

It will have 12 months warranty aswell. I've spent so much on my GTI and it's starting to annoy me now, but there's something about the car which I love, lol
LiverpoloGTi
Bronze Member

Post by LiverpoloGTi »

1 GTI wrote:I've spent so much on my GTI and it's starting to annoy me now, but there's something about the car which I love
I know that feeling oh too well,
1 GTI
Silver Member

More bad luck

Post by 1 GTI »

Car all sorted now. Got it done in the end at a garage about 10miles from where I live. Had my gearbox re-built for £425 cash including 12 months warranty. Gearbox feels lovely now, hopefully it will for a while aswell. Had some more bad luck, got my MOT this month and 2 bald tyres in the back. Just ordered 2 goodyear F1's from mytyres.co.uk, awesome site for tyres. Let you know how it goes
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Regarding the Goodyear Eagle F1's, make sure they have 'Made in Germany' on the sidewall.

There are some 'Made in Taiwan' tyres going around that aren't E-Marked for this county :D
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

I've got 2 on the front now, not sure what they are though. I'll check them now. Thanks for that mate