Reooving door panel

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
martinjr
New

Reooving door panel

Post by martinjr »

One of the rear doors is closed and locked. The door stop (push and pull) cable/wire has disconnected from the door handle with the result that the door will not open. In other words, when I pull the handle to open the door nothing happens as it doesn't engage with the door catch. Iknow what to look for and fix once I get access to the works but the problem is that I cannot remove the door panel. If the door was open this would be less of a problem. I can remove the window handle and the casing for the (interior) door handle and that's as far as I can go.

Anyone any hints?
Randall
Gold Member

Post by Randall »

Have you tried the internal and external door handle?
martinjr
New

Post by martinjr »

Yes, whoever sat in the back seat last time pressed the lock button down when exiting car. Next time someone tried to open door they fount it wouldn't do so. At that point I reached invia drivers door and pulled up the the button but it didn't engage and felt very free. It was obvious to me that whatever connection there used to be between the end of the button inside door and lever to the lock handle was no longer in place.

I know I can wreck the door panel to get at the works but that is not attractive but it may be the only means to an end!!!
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

does the door even have to be open to get the panel off? if you took out the rear bench seats (piece of cake btw) and moved the front forward then shouldnt it be an easy job to get too? Obvs ive never looked to try, having no reason too.

But thinking about it if you move the bench out the way then all you have to do is undo the screws beneathe the door handles (pops off with screwrdiver), undo the door pin and window winde3r. Then yank yank yank at the card and its on a system of clips. Then you got to take back the weather sheet as neat as possible. I found pulling it up and cutting the sticky stuff with a stanley to be best as the sticky shizzle will stick back to other sticky stuff when pressure is applied.

Hope ive helped!
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

i dnt reckon u cld get it off with the door shut because of floor being in the way.
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

yeh but there is like a 2 inch gap round the bottom of the door where ti connects to the sill. There are no clips on the underneathe. I honestly cant see why it wouldnt be possible...
martinjr
New

Post by martinjr »

Justb about to attack it now. Will get back with result if both of us survive. Thanks for help so far.