Taking the car for a little cruise....

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
tegwin
Gold Member

Taking the car for a little cruise....

Post by tegwin »

2650 Miles after leaving home I am back.....

Took the GTI up into the Alps on some AWSOME twisty roads with plenty of hairpins....was totaly amazing!

The car didnt miss a beat, came back looking very dirty though...some of those Euro bugs are huge!

Had a little issue on some of the high mountain passes though, some of them being around 8,500-10,000 feet above sea level, the car lacked the power I was used to, but still fairly impressive...

Anyway, a couple of pics:

Very high mountain pass

The car waiting to be thrown into some more hairpins :)

I have a load more somewhere, but its taking me ages to sort through them...
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Holy crap that's amazing, would love to take my car there
1 GTI
Silver Member

Post by 1 GTI »

How much did it cost you in fuel? Bet it was a stinger, lol
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Cool 8)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

the scenery looks like the type place they'd have filmed an advert for the GTi!
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

I dont even want to know how much I spent on fuel....But I recon I used over 300 litres of fuel...

Had some rather nasty moments where I thought I was just about to run out of fuel as well...but luckily a fuel station turned up just in time...

Its quite impressive...even the little middle of nowhere garages had high octane fuel....so why do I have to hunt around all the local garages here in the UK to find one that stocks it...GRR!!!

Would have made for some good videos doing the hairpins...

My only complaint is that, the clutch is heavy and after 6 hours of changing up and down through hairpins etc my left knee was starting to swell up a bit :p

Some more photos:
Night stop off:

Pee stop:

The bends:

And the view at the end of the journey:
nafeGTI
Bronze Member

Post by nafeGTI »

wow, fair play to you mate. that looks amazing :)
womble68
Bronze Member

Post by womble68 »

Agreed on the Clutch, this is why I'm replacing mine with a new one soon. Hopefully it goes back to being nice and light. Photos looks pretty damn cool, each time somebody does something like this makes me think about doing it. Maybe one day ;)
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

Its quite tempting to try and get all the bits together to do a hydraulic clutch conversion on the polo...but if im going to do that I might as well get a Lupo gearbox whilst im at it and have 6 gears :twisted:
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

Some amazing scenery :shock: Must have been loads of fun
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

i would love to do something like this! good pics mate!
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

Where exactly did you go?
I have to admit I cheated a bit and took the motorway for the first leg down to Dijon...the speed limit is 130KM/H (82MPH ish)...The car happily cruised above that all day, didnt see the point in burning too much fuel on this leg so kept it slowish....

Day two saw the navigation get more fun as I headed through the mountains to Lake Lausanne and Geneva before continuing South West cross country to Chamonix. (the closest town to Mont Blanc...)

Played around in Chamonix for a week.....Biking, climbing etc and the occasional blat up into the mountains before heading cross country to Marseille for a few days passing through Switzerland and Italy. We chose not to use the Mt Blanc tunnel to save money which added another three hours of hair pins and twisty roads to the journey (what a pain:p)

10 hours of driving the worlds most awsome roads is good fun, but it KILLS you...my concentration was starting to go lol...

After we got bored of marseille and the heat, a long drive to Verdun to check out some of the battlefield stuff with another overnighter, before heading to Calais for the ferry....

That answer your question :-p

I could have happily stayed over there for longer driving about looking at things, but there is only so much you ccan take of a moaning woman more interested in her makeup and nails than the scenery...
GU!NN3SS
New

Post by GU!NN3SS »

thats awesome