Hot start problem Mk 2.

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
marktwo
New

Hot start problem Mk 2.

Post by marktwo »

The family mark two is not too happy hot starting. Sometimes it has to be left to cool down before it will start. I converted to manual choke so no choke probs to contribute. Any ideas?
telboy
New

manual choke

Post by telboy »

hi mate, i know i'm not helping u with ur problem but i thought i might be cheeky and ask u how u converted to a manual choke? was it a carb swop or o diy job? thanks :oops:
marktwo
New

Post by marktwo »

It was a diy job. I had quite a job tracking down a kit but found one in the end. Quite a simple job to do you just replace the auto unit with the bimetallic spring for the manually controlled one. :)
barry
New

Post by barry »

The difficult part as i remember is setting up all the adjusting screws and cams,to get the right ratio between choke n throttle
telboy
New

diy choke

Post by telboy »

sorry to distort ur original question but i have dismantled my pierburg auto choke and codged the choke shut, then just joined the two water pipes up with a slightly smaller diameter piece of metal pipe. when starting from cold it does need a bit of revving but after 5-10 seconds it runs smooth as if it was warm. bearing in mind the weather is quite warm i might be in for a shock come the winter :cry: thats why i asked my original question about a diy choke set up. apologies again for stepping on your toes.
marktwo
New

Post by marktwo »

I didn't have to do any adjusting of the cam, the new choke just bolts on and provided you check the operation on the butterfly is correct ie full choke= shut, no choke =open, everythings hunky dory. One word of warning I was originally sent the wrong kit, some were left and some right hand sided - spent ages scratching me head till I realised. Worst bit was siting the choke pull in the car - not much room and the cable kinks a bit which means its a bit stiff to operate. There is a massive improvement over the old auto choke where I used to splutter down the road until she started to warm up. Definately a mod worth doing. Mark.