Buying a Mk5 Polo GTi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Like others have said, don't let the problems put you off. People have trouble with gearboxes and still keep the car and that is saying something. After driving mine on a 1000 mile round trip (again!)I can safely say I love my Polo. It's very nippy (a lot faster than most n/a 1.6s), can embarass bigger cars, decent handling, looks amazing (imo lol), good on fuel considering it's power, great fun to drive and has heaps of luxuries 8)
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

Won't believe how much the fuel consumption drops once you put A/C on though :lol:
Rupy
Bronze Member

Post by Rupy »

Best you leave the motor and look for another example mate!
superchoward
New

Post by superchoward »

Yeah I'll keep looking. At the minute i'm trying to decide between a Polo GTi and an Alfa Romeo 147.

I've posted in the wanted section now, hopefully that might get some interest.

Going slightly off topic.....
I went to look at a 147 in Liverpool yesterday, owner told me it was in good condition, not perfect but assured me there was nothing nasty on it. When I got there it was awful! I mean I know you can't expect people to tell you it's in bad condition otherwise they would never sell it but all down one side was scratched and 2 fairly sized dents in the body work, interior was really scruffy and it was just a waste of time really. 2 hour round trip too so I was quite annoyed.

I'm hoping somebody on here could possibly sell me their GTi as I figure if they are hanging around forums they will probably have taken care of their car as well as most.

Fingers crossed for a nice GTi soon :)

Cheers guys
Chris
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

i'll agree with that, wish i'd thought of buying my car off a forum rather than a dodgy sales garage, people on here are probably the best previous owners you could ask for & you'd be getting it at private sale price, Si the moderator is selling his fine example some point soon, hang on for a good one...it will be worth it
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

what year 147 are you looking for currently? funnily enuf my dads looking to sell his, its in great nick!
superchoward
New

Post by superchoward »

Not really fussed about what year. Has to be a 1.6 though for insurance reasons.

Could you PM me some details about the car? You anywhere near Blackpool?

Also £5000 is the most I can afford.

Cheers
Chris
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Alright mate, I saw your wanted post in the Wanted section and just wanted to say I think you're limiting yourself a bit stating it has to be 50miles from Blackpool.

A lot of people have had to travel 100+ to find the right one.

I was lucky in finding a VW dealer with one closer than that, but the first one I was going to view was about a 6 hour round trip (he sold it the day before I went to look at it)

Good luck in the search.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

ModifiedMadness wrote:Alright mate, I saw your wanted post in the Wanted section and just wanted to say I think you're limiting yourself a bit stating it has to be 50miles from Blackpool.

A lot of people have had to travel 100+ to find the right one.
Agreed. With less than 3500 sold in the UK numbers are limited and the chances of finding a decent car for sale, when you want to be, within a 50mile radius is fairly slim.

If you do want one badly, then you do have to be prepared to travel despite the inconvenience of it.
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

as redline + modifiedmadness has said be prepared to travel, i had looked any many which were local to me but even more that were far a field i mean out in the sticks and up to newcastle, luckly i only had to travel to barnet which wasnt too far but keep your chin up and keep positive as the right one is possibly closer than you think. and dont be put off about the problems which sometimes happen to these wonderful machines. most of the time there are stupid little things.
Good Luck on your searching mate.
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

ye i travelled nearly 200 miles for mine
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

tomo87 wrote:ye i travelled nearly 200 miles for mine
i would travel what ever it takes for your motor tomo its gotta be the best ive seen :wink:
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

I travelled 95 miles to get mine and that was lucky. 2 days after I bought the car, over 15 people had enquired about it!
superchoward
New

Post by superchoward »

Yeah I personally don't mind the travelling, it's my dad that won't come with me to see one's that are further away! He moans about going as far as 40 miles but I've tried to explain to him that it's not as if I'm looking for something like a Ford Focus which there are loads around!

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and go to buy one on my own, just worried I'm gonna get one with something wrong/dodgy.

I just need to wait and take my time, something will come up in due course. If I get impatient then I should probably start looking further afield.

Cheers
Chris
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

polo_gti21 wrote:
tomo87 wrote:ye i travelled nearly 200 miles for mine
i would travel what ever it takes for your motor tomo its gotta be the best ive seen :wink:
cheers dude...glad its appreciated!