Need info on doing a GTI engine conversion

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
VwPo1o
Getting There!

Need info on doing a GTI engine conversion

Post by VwPo1o »

I know it seems like a pretty repeated subject around this forum, and more than often whoever suggests it gets shrugged off for complicating things instead of just getting the whole car. However.... I think I do have a good point, when I say that my car is f*****d. The engine has pretty much reached the end of its life and I've been told to get rid of the car and just get another. However, as I'm still I a student, I don't have the funds to go out there and spend at least 3 grand on a new car. So here's the thing... for a grand I get to keep my car and all its little gadgets I've added to it in the past few years 8) as well as beef it up under the bonnet!

Here's where I need the help. My father doesn't own a garage and I don't have access to one, unlike the many members of this forum. I live in Bath and I need suggestions as to where I can the get the engine conversion to a gti engine done as well as where I can buy it from.

And ... if any, are there any complications when it comes to the conversion.

Tell me if I'm wrong when I say that I just need the wire loom, ecu, clocks, gearbox and ... urgh... oh yeah... the engine! :lol:

I would REALLY appreciate any input. I wana get this done asap.
Last edited by VwPo1o on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

i dont know where your u can get it done but i will say as far as im aware, i might be wrong tho, if u get an engine conversion, depending on the engine i heard youd need the gear box and brake conversion to take the weight and pressure of the the engine........ i might be wrong but thats wat i heard.

also if u got a spare couple of thousand then go for it cause i know its expensive but not sure how expensive.
VwPo1o
Getting There!

Post by VwPo1o »

I forgot to say, I'm not thinking of putting a 1.8t or anything like that, just a gti engine!!! Nothing special ... I know ... but its definately better then the piece of useless turd I have sitting outside!

I'll probably get the rear brake conversion done at the same time, or shortly after.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Youd defo need rear discs with a GTI drums would just collapse :P There are garages about that will do it all in for about £2.5k, but if you can find a crashed GTI, you can then get the engine, looms, ECU and any ancillary parts you may need.

Its a costly job to do and takes alot of time - many garages wont even go there!
VwPo1o
Getting There!

Post by VwPo1o »

2.5 grand!!!!! Are you serious??? I didn't think it would come to that much. I've heard I can get all the parts for about 700 quid without the rear gti axles. They wouldn't charge that much to fit the whole thing would they? I was thinking maybe another 700 quid fitting? No?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

lol theres more to an engine swap than you think :P It can cost loads and loads and loads even more if they hit complications!!
VwPo1o
Getting There!

Post by VwPo1o »

That's the thing though, apparently theren't any when it comes to the gti engine. Since its from the same model, everything seems to just fit into place. The only hassle, I think, is when it comes to changing the wiring loom. But I need somebody to confim that. You're right though, if it's too much of hassle it will be costly; fingers crossed it's not! :roll:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Its pracitally a straight swap - lots of parts have to be changed for the GTI ones, but apart from that its easy. as you say wiring loomis the worst part!
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

VwPo1o wrote:That's the thing though, apparently theren't any when it comes to the gti engine. Since its from the same model, everything seems to just fit into place. The only hassle, I think, is when it comes to changing the wiring loom. But I need somebody to confim that. You're right though, if it's too much of hassle it will be costly; fingers crossed it's not! :roll:
HAHAH, the guy who just done this conversion will probably rip your balls of for saying that LOL

Think he had a hard time of it !!
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

I'm sorry but yes the engine will be faster and a little heavier, but i really dont see the need in changing the brakes on the back from Drums to discs, Yes if your doing a 1.8T but a gti hmmmm no thanx, the vast majority of braking is done with the front of the brakes, the rear discs are there to stablalise the car under HEAVY breaking.

Also for folk saying it can be very expensive, yes it can be if you give your car to a company to do it, After all the thing your paying the for is there time!

People have done it in a day etc, and the thing that is the most difficult part is the electrical, Although the loom is very similar and all that needs done is no doubt a few extra sensors wired into the old one.

Also what you will have to remember is the transponder from the ignition barrell and get the keys if posible from the donor car, as you need this for the immobiliser.

So if you are handy with a spanner and have a drive and can afford the car to be of the road, try it yourself, get a decent set of tools, ie the ones that needed and bash on!
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

Ian_R wrote:I'm sorry but yes the engine will be faster and a little heavier, but i really dont see the need in changing the brakes on the back from Drums to discs, Yes if your doing a 1.8T but a gti hmmmm no thanx, the vast majority of braking is done with the front of the brakes, the rear discs are there to stablalise the car under HEAVY breaking.
Ye that is a pile of bull s**t to put it bluntly. I have the gti set up in my car and it really is dung. Most of the braking power is down with the front as mentioned and rear brakes are only really to help it.
VwPo1o
Getting There!

Post by VwPo1o »

Cool, so I guess I'll leave the brakes till later or get them done if I have any pennies to spare :D .
Now, I don't have a drive cos I'm not at home and I wouldn't be able to get hold of one of those engine lifters anyway. I don't see any other option than to take it to a garage. Any suggestions about where I can take it?? Bath Bristol area??
www.neil-f.net wrote:HAHAH, the guy who just done this conversion will probably rip your balls of for saying that LOL

Think he had a hard time of it !!
Who's that??? Could really do with asking him a few questions about where the problems lie.

Arnoldo, who did the setup for you??? What do I need to make a note of if I take it to a garage?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I think by the brakes, he means that it has disc brakes just like the GTI. Its a 1.4 16V jobby - all of those have discs all round :)
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

As Alex rightly pointed out mine is a 1.4 16v which comes with the gti brake set-up. Trust me m8. U aint missing out. My friends clio's brakes are 2x the polos. Gd luck on the conversion.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

have you tried talking to dee-vub? he's got an engine convo, his cars up in the for sale section now