New member - MPG issues

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

New member - MPG issues

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Hello all, I'm Ash, a second year at Durham uni. First post over here, so don't be harsh :lol:

Bought a 53 plate 1.4 TDi sport with 23k on the clock (now 24k) back in October from a VW dealer (Mill Sunderland) and decided to call him Fritz :D. I think I'm getting rather poor fuel economy from it...struggle to see 40 MPG in town and even on the motorway and A roads, I haven't seen 55 yet. In start stop traffic, I'm lucky if I even get 35! Granted I don't always drive like a saint, but I'm not exactly a boy racer either. Am home now for Christmas, so thought I'd take Fritz out for an A road blast. Mainly on the A59, mostly sticking at 60 - 70 MPH, maybe 80 for the odd overtaking maneuver, and the trip computer says 52 MPG after 40 miles :? Even on my 130 mile trip home from uni I only got 53 MPG, driving at a constant 65 MPH for most of the journey (albeit, got stuck in traffic the middle of Harrogate for 10 minutes, but still...)

If I'm thinking right, shouldn't I be seeing around 40 - 45 MPG in town, even with spirited driving and well over 60 MPG on the two journeys I quoted above? And before I forget, decided to stop at a friends house on the way back from my A road blast, then caned it home (2 miles if that) and my average dropped from 52 to 41! :(

Cambelt was replaced just before I got the car, checked the air filter which looks very slightly dusty, rather than completely clogged...brakes aren't catching (I'm sure....some idiot decided slashing all my tires last week would put me in a good mood for crimbo :( ...wheels move freely though)

Any idea what it could be? Reckon the timing may be off?

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Ash :)
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

that sounds about right mate.

I rarely see 55mpg this time of year unless I'm doing about 60mph on the motorways.

I can get it to 60+ mpg but it takes the right journey.

normal driving will see low 50s, high 40s in the winter.
david burton

Post by david burton »

p.s. who told you 60+ mpg?! I'd be amazed to see a normal drive on the motorway return that. the 1.4tdi is similar to the 1.9 in economy IIRC.
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

and you think thats bad????

mine must be awful then, at the most 29 mpg round town and i mean at the most and up to 35 on a run, but thats ok in my eyes for the power the cars producing

as low as 9 mpg when giving it some abuse, so i would kill for 41 mpg for the giving it some stick economy haha
TDI_Burd
Bronze Member

Post by TDI_Burd »

david burton wrote:that sounds about right mate.

I rarely see 55mpg this time of year unless I'm doing about 60mph on the motorways.

I can get it to 60+ mpg but it takes the right journey.

normal driving will see low 50s, high 40s in the winter.
Have to agree here with david i get about 50mpg in this weather and thats with some mods too cold air is making my turbo want to go like a train lol

Claire
david burton

Post by david burton »

yeah I don't think you've got an issue to be honest.

bear in mind I have bigger wheels and wider tyres on, and it does take a while to get the economical style down to a tee.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Well, thanks for the replies guys :) So high 30s to low 40s seems alright in start-stop traffic for this time of year?

I'm taking it that you usually get a higher MPG in the summer? If so, how much?

Cheers,
Ash :)
david burton

Post by david burton »

yeah (if you don't use aircon!)

the wet, dark nights make for bad mpg. cold weather is also bad for mpg (don't believe anyone who says otherwise).

in summer you may get 10% more.
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

same car as me mate and i get about 60mpg coming home from work.
thats going about 60 on motorway. but if i touch accelerator anymore it dropes to about 50.

the mpg you stated are about right.