New audio setup - lots of questions!

Discuss In Car Entertainment
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

New audio setup - lots of questions!

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Hi all.

Am thinking about ditching the stock Gamma HU and 6 CD changer for something that has better sound quality and good iPod connectivity. Don't really want to spend too much over £100 on the head unit and am currently considering this one:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -22557.htm

I've heard that the stock speakers are rather decent when combined with an aftermarket head unit, but I can really feel the lack of bass with the stock head unit. The thing is, I'm not a bass junkie, but I do like some decent bass to accompany without overpowering the music. Somewhere around 250 - 300W RMS would be much more than enough for me! Realistically, I reckon somewhere around 150W RMS would be satisfactory.

Right now as far as my budget goes, I can afford to either get an amp and some decent components or a sub and amp.

The latter seems like a better choice, although I'm worried that with the stock speakers, a sub may give out too much bass. Also, I like my boot space, which is another thing putting me off a sub. If I were to get a sub, it would most likely be:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -19090.htm

combined with

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -21965.htm

just in case I decide to add components later. That amp seems to be good value for money. The sub is a 2 ohm dual coil and rated at 350W RMS, so I'm thinking 284W bridged at 4 ohm should be OK?

If I go for components now, it's either going to be

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -21952.htm

or

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -22579.htm

combined with the same 4 channel JBL amp stated above.

However, since you have to drill out the rivets for the stock speakers and then use an adaptor, I'm probably goiing to have to end up leaving the uprated components when the time comes to change my car...whereas you can just take a sub out.

A few questions:

1) Should I go for a sub now or get some components?

2) With that amp (104W RMS / channel), would I be risking blowing the JBL components which are rated at 70W RMS? Is there any way to limit the power going through the amp?

3) Is there any place I could mount the amp other than the boot?

4) Any other head units worth looking at for the same money? I think that Pioneer I'm looking at is good value for money.

Any help would be much appreciated. :D Sorry about the long post, car audio isn't really my cup of tea! :lol:

Cheers,
Ash
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

I'd only bother buying the HU new, you can get a sub and amp 3 times better if you buy 2nd hand.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

250-300W RMS is alot for a budget install!!

If you just want improved sound quality and ipod connectivity on a budget, then i'd recommend buying a good set of components running off a decent HU.

Sub, amp and current speaker install would sound gash, there would also be no point purchasing an amp to run components when you have no sub and on a small budget. Just stick to a decent HU and components.

I'd recommened the second speakers you've selected there, I have the very same set in the front of my car.

With a price range like that for your HU, i'd highly recommend something like this (which i also have in my car 8) )

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -22867.htm

great when in combo with the type Rs and the ipod function is intergrated into the actual buttons and screen of the head unit, instead of a less practical AUX cable.

A good head unit and set of components will greatly enhance your car audio and is a good bassis to build upon if you want to advance in ICE installs,

hope this helps 8)
jason11
Platinum Member

Post by jason11 »

id have a alpine h-u everytime tho mate :lol:
david burton

Post by david burton »

Of course there's the alternative like myself and others have done:

stick with the nice looking Gamma HU and changer, get a mini-ISO to RCA for the back of the Gamma HU and run these RCA signals into 2 amps for the sub and component speakers (or just one amp).

the sub I'm running at the moment sounds far better than the setup I had with an Alpine HU running 2x12" subs (and the same amp).

not sure how the components will behave, but it's worth considering this as an option. Not many aftermarket HUs really suit the 9N/9N3. the money you save with not changing the HU can go towards some very good 2nd hand components.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Cheers for the replies guys :)
Tim_GTi wrote:250-300W RMS is alot for a budget install!!

If you just want improved sound quality and ipod connectivity on a budget, then i'd recommend buying a good set of components running off a decent HU.

Sub, amp and current speaker install would sound gash, there would also be no point purchasing an amp to run components when you have no sub and on a small budget. Just stick to a decent HU and components.

I'd recommened the second speakers you've selected there, I have the very same set in the front of my car.

With a price range like that for your HU, i'd highly recommend something like this (which i also have in my car 8) )

great when in combo with the type Rs and the ipod function is intergrated into the actual buttons and screen of the head unit, instead of a less practical AUX cable.

A good head unit and set of components will greatly enhance your car audio and is a good bassis to build upon if you want to advance in ICE installs,

hope this helps 8)
So are you saying get the Type-R components and run them straight off the head unit? Would they make a significant difference than the OEM speakers without being amped? :?

Point taken about the head unit :) I'm taking it you can easily scroll through albums, playlists, etc. Forgetting about my budget for the time being, what would you recommend - that Alpine HU or this Pioneer one:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -22558.htm

Cheers :)
david burton wrote:Of course there's the alternative like myself and others have done:

stick with the nice looking Gamma HU and changer, get a mini-ISO to RCA for the back of the Gamma HU and run these RCA signals into 2 amps for the sub and component speakers (or just one amp).

the sub I'm running at the moment sounds far better than the setup I had with an Alpine HU running 2x12" subs (and the same amp).

not sure how the components will behave, but it's worth considering this as an option. Not many aftermarket HUs really suit the 9N/9N3. the money you save with not changing the HU can go towards some very good 2nd hand components.
Yeah, I've heard about that cable and they're rather cheap as well. I'll admit I like the look of the OEM stuff in the dash, but then I'm kinda stuck as far as iPod integration goes. IIRC, don't the adaptors for the OEM HU cost upwards of £80 (and you also lose the capability to play CDs)? And then you can only select the first 5/6 playlists directly from the head unit without any track info being displayed on the screen of the HU? If you can view track info and have full control over the iPod through it, I'd rather keep the stock HU. Can anyone confirm?

Many thanks! Really appreciate all your help :)
Ash

PS: Any other place other than the boot where I can mount an amp?

Ash :)
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

Ok, let me tell you what setup i have, i think it will help you a bit with your decision. I got a JVC amp running 2X200wrms @ 4ohms going to the alpine type r components your looking at, and it now sounds super clear. I've been told that overpowering speakers actually delivers better sound overall. Also you don't need to do any drilling etc. for them components they were a straight swap even the tweeters.

oh and if you can't afford both components and amp, then not worth it really i've been told, since you need power to get the higher rms rated components moving and for that you need an amp. Instead i would stick with a hu and standard speakers since the head will only give like 4X 20-25rms which is enough to give better sound from standard speakers but not components

Headunit wise i would definately go for alpine :wink:

my amp is mounted to the back of the seat

Hope that helps a bit
david burton

Post by david burton »

I don't think you can get the Gamma to control an iPod. So that may be the deciding factor. I do know that the cassette adaptors are better than most FM transmitters though. Yes it might be untidy, but that's the option I went for in the end. Plus it's less nick-able and more OEM.

There are HUs out there that suit the POlo (Becker?) but more money.
h4r1s
Platinum Member

Post by h4r1s »

david burton wrote:I don't think you can get the Gamma to control an iPod. So that may be the deciding factor. I do know that the cassette adaptors are better than most FM transmitters though. Yes it might be untidy, but that's the option I went for in the end. Plus it's less nick-able and more OEM
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/skoda-i ... -4652.html

sorry to contradict, but i had an fm transmitter for my ipod and it was usually a crap quality signal i got most of the time with plenty of interference. Didn't enjoy music with it at all tbh so went back to cds. but the new ones may provide better quality sound :wink:
david burton

Post by david burton »

h4r1s wrote: sorry to contradict, but i had an fm transmitter for my ipod and it was usually a crap quality signal i got most of the time with plenty of interference. Didn't enjoy music with it at all tbh so went back to cds. but the new ones may provide better quality sound :wink:
that's not contradicting, I said the cassette adaptors are a lot better than the FM transmitters :P

there is a huge difference in adaptors too, pop over to the ipod lounge for info. I just bought the Sony one for my missus to use, imported from the USA.

anyhow, I didn't think you could have an iPod input as well as the CD changer in place. how does the one above work?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

h4r1s wrote:Ok, let me tell you what setup i have, i think it will help you a bit with your decision. I got a JVC amp running 2X200wrms @ 4ohms going to the alpine type r components your looking at, and it now sounds super clear. I've been told that overpowering speakers actually delivers better sound overall. Also you don't need to do any drilling etc. for them components they were a straight swap even the tweeters.

oh and if you can't afford both components and amp, then not worth it really i've been told, since you need power to get the higher rms rated components moving and for that you need an amp. Instead i would stick with a hu and standard speakers since the head will only give like 4X 20-25rms which is enough to give better sound from standard speakers but not components

Headunit wise i would definately go for alpine :wink:

my amp is mounted to the back of the seat

Hope that helps a bit
OK thanks mate, that's what I thought about components needing to be amped in order to sound better than OEM speakers :)

Is your amp screwed onto the back seats then? Or did you use velcro or something else?

I've heard rumors that the 9n polo's OEM speakers are custom fit ones held in with rivets and that an adaptor is required to use 165mm speakers. Not sure how far it's true, but quite a few car audio sites seem to stock such speaker adaptors...

I don't suppose anyone would know if the JBL components would be nice amped up?

So the general consensus is components + amp and an Alpine HU.

Cheers folks :D
Ash

EDIT: Missed reading the last 3 post... :lol:

All the info helps :D
h4r1s
Platinum Member

Post by h4r1s »

Amp has been screwed on, don't know much about the jbl components, but i got recommended these as well when i was looking for some http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamic ... -5523.html

The type r components come with plenty of adapters, don't know whether they would be relevant to the 9n though? i could get pics and someone who knows can maybe help you with that
david burton

Post by david burton »

I had a look at the iPod adaptor above, and it uses the CD changer input. So if you did go this way then you'd lose the changer which IMO is not great.

If you do go for an amp and comps then my advice is to buy a 2nd RCA lead and wire this in in case you go for a sub - which you will in the end :)

also buy a nice 4awg set for the wiring. only costs another tenner but is worth it in the end. wiring things twice is a real ball-ache.

p.s. I've had the type-Rs before and they were very good for the money, much better off an Alpine HU, and they performed better than some £300 components I switched to!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

WOA, alot more imput than when i last checked lol,

i'll try give my advice without confusing things!
K.I.T.T. wrote:
So are you saying get the Type-R components and run them straight off the head unit? Would they make a significant difference than the OEM speakers without being amped? :?

Point taken about the head unit :) I'm taking it you can easily scroll through albums, playlists, etc. Forgetting about my budget for the time being, what would you recommend - that Alpine HU or this Pioneer one:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -22558.htm

If your on a budget, the alpine components WILL run fine off an aftermarket HU.

YES they do run alot better on a seperate amp, (alpine components generally need a bit of ummmpffff to appreciate their full potential), but don't be sucked in by the whole "aftermarket components HAVE to run off aftermarket amplifiers"

I'd choose the alpine HU over the second pioneer HU you've selected, simply because i'm loyal to alpine, but the pioneer has 3 pre-outs, so has room for ICE expansion without things getting complicated, (the alpine only has 1)

Bottom line if you've got the budget, get something like this

this

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -22579.htm

and this

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -19231.htm

If your a little shy on the money, save the amp for next time 8)

ohh and i also screwed my amp to the back of my rear seats,
don't velcro it, it won't be secure enough
h4r1s
Platinum Member

Post by h4r1s »

That would be a good setup :D only thing i would consider is a more powerful amp if you have the funds available, this one is cheaper than the alpine one, but most likely isn't as good oh and it is huuugee takes up the whole side of one my seats

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-ksa ... eee7ce3c37

oh an i might be getting a bit confused with the alpine type r components state they are - RMS Power: 110W is that per speaker or for both speakers?

if it is for both speakers, then mine are stupidly overpowered :shock: