New audio setup - lots of questions!

Discuss In Car Entertainment
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

ModifiedMadness wrote:
h4r1s wrote:my amp is 200wrms while the components are 110wrms, so i'll let you know if they blow, which i'm sure they won't if you just turn the gain setting down :wink:
My amp is 300w RMS and my components are 150w RMS :lol:

That makes them do this
:lol: :D 8)

Anyways, am setting off to Manchester in about an hour...after much debate, I'm gonna get them to fit the head unit first and see what it sounds like with the stock speakers. I might stick with that solution until I have a little extra spending money. :)

Although, it could swing either way :D We'll see what happens.

And yeah, a false wall on the side of the boot for the amp sounds like the best solution. Might just temporarily leave it on top of the carpet for now.

Thanks for all your help!! :)

Ash
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Who's fitting it then mate?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Bah humbug...much ado about nothing. Spent like half an hour pointlessly roaming round in circles in Manchester city centre (traffic's a nightmare) cos I was gonna meet my mate at Victoria station which was nearby, only to find they didn't have what i want in stock :(

What brightened up my day is that I took my mum with me...and by chance my mate saw my car and pulled along side me, rang my phone and honked, saw him lower his window (my mum didn't know what was going on), and when i lowered mine making some hand gestures, she thought i was starting on some random guy in their car :lol:

@modified madness: I was gonna get it installed over there at the shop. On another note, how do you take the door cards off on a Mk 6? And the A pillar trim for that matter. i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard to install myself, as i'm into electronics :)

And any way to route the ipod cable into the dash? Would i have to take the dash out or something (and is the gromet to put wiring through the firewall behind the glove box too?)

One more thing: Apparently, the VW HU only puts out like 8W RMS (I've been told), wheras most aftermarket ones are around 20W RMS. I've also heard the stock speakers are actually rather decent (25W RMS) and some people have actually amped them without issues. Is there any way to try amping them with say a 35-40 W RMS amplifier using the stock wiring to see what they sound like? Or is this a bad idea?

Oooh and before I forget, seeing as I have a changer, where can i get that cubby box for when I just have a head unit (as in where the changer would have been) and a fascia adaptor?

Thanks!
Ash :D

Oh, and I should add here, I love this forum...everyone's willing to help newbies like myself, no matter how silly the questions may be. Cheers! :)
colour_concept
Bronze Member

Post by colour_concept »

K.I.T.T. wrote:Is there any way to try amping them with say a 35-40 W RMS amplifier using the stock wiring to see what they sound like?
ive amped the original tweeters with a amp pushing 2 x 50wrms. They sound a lot clearer and obviously louder than running off my pioneer headunit... i get no distortion at all but ive spent a lot of time fiddling with the gain, hpf, etc etc to get the perfect sound.

the door speakers i replaced with mids taken from a alpine type-s component set but only becuase i didnt think the original speakers could handle midbass well and was worried theyll blow/burnout. Effectively im running -

original vw tweets used in conjunction with the mids taken from alpine type-s comps and thats being amped by 2 x 50wrms

the sound quality of the vw speakers is very good especially the tweets and some people get shocked when they realise that such crisp sound is coming from standard tweets - but it does require setting up and fine tuning.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

colour_concept wrote:
K.I.T.T. wrote:Is there any way to try amping them with say a 35-40 W RMS amplifier using the stock wiring to see what they sound like?
ive amped the original tweeters with a amp pushing 2 x 50wrms. They sound a lot clearer and obviously louder than running off my pioneer headunit... i get no distortion at all but ive spent a lot of time fiddling with the gain, hpf, etc etc to get the perfect sound.

the door speakers i replaced with mids taken from a alpine type-s component set but only becuase i didnt think the original speakers could handle midbass well and was worried theyll blow/burnout. Effectively im running -

original vw tweets used in conjunction with the mids taken from alpine type-s comps and thats being amped by 2 x 50wrms

the sound quality of the vw speakers is very good especially the tweets and some people get shocked when they realise that such crisp sound is coming from standard tweets - but it does require setting up and fine tuning.
Thanks mate :)

I'm taking it you used your own wiring for the tweeters? Would it be possible to say disconnect the wires from the ISO harness and run those through an amp maybe? ie using the original wiring?

Thanks,
Ash :)