2X 4" Speakers in doors in 1988 Polo.

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Mike Singleton
New

2X 4" Speakers in doors in 1988 Polo.

Post by Mike Singleton »

Hey guys.

Took my door panels off today in my '88 Mk2 Polo Cl, and reckon I could probably get 2X 4" speakers in each door - would be pretty cool!

Since there's no electrics between the door and chassis, I think running the cables along the bottom of the dash, and then drilling a hole just behind the seal, and then again in the door would be a good way of doing it.

I've taken the side pockets off the panels, which is where they'll go, has anyone got any other tips for mounting them? Never fitted any apart from some 6x9s!

Thanks,

Mike.
89_polo_squareback
Getting There!

Re: 2X 4" Speakers in doors in 1988 Polo.

Post by 89_polo_squareback »

Mike Singleton wrote:

Since there's no electrics between the door and chassis, I think running the cables along the bottom of the dash, and then drilling a hole just behind the seal, and then again in the door would be a good way of doing it
anyone know if this is a good idea because i want to fit some speakers in my doors but dont have any existing wiring going into them!!
WOLOP
New

Post by WOLOP »

Yeah it's pretty easy you just have to take the doors off when you drill the holes.Make sure you grease the hole after and put a rubber grommet in the hole.
put the door back on
then run the cable through then wrap the cable in insulation tape.
here's how i did mine

hope that helps

89_polo_squareback
Getting There!

yea thanks for that :D
89_polo_squareback
Getting There!

btw where did u get the rubber gromets forom??
WOLOP
New

Post by WOLOP »

Local hardware store-try focus
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

lol i got 6x9's there :D :D :D

theres loads of spce behind there but oh my god i need to buy some sound deadening for the door, so if you have the cash put some matting behind, just for a better sound.
The G Man
Getting There!

Post by The G Man »

Thanks for posting this guys....

I've got a central locking kit for my squareback Mk2 that I'll probably fit this year. Since it doesn't have electrics in the door already I was sort of scratching my head a bit with regards to how I was going to do this. This seems a good way of doing it.

I might also see if I've got room in there for two speakers up front (might be a bit of a squeeze though as I've got a bog standard mk2 with the slim type door panels.