Failed MOT again this year

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
CymruPolo
Not so new

Failed MOT again this year

Post by CymruPolo »

For the second year running my car has failed an MOT, I'm going for a hattrick next year :lol: . Seriously though, I'm quite annoyed. Last year it was a damaged brake hose, so not too costly. This year it is a wheel bearing and hub, and not for the first time either.

Some of you will remember when I got my wheels in about June 2006 the company sent me the incorrect wheels nuts (they were too long) and they damaged my ABS sensor, hub and therefore I had to chance the wheel bearing. 3 months later the same wheel bearing went which was replaced under warranty.

This got me thinking, how the hell have they both gone again? I don't trust the place that fitted them for me anymore and haven't used them since because they always find an excuse to charge you more than they quoted, and they're always happy to "find" new problems :roll:. So possibly they have dodgy parts?

All in all, I had planned spending about £50 for this MOT and it's going to cost me £200, maybe more. Oh, and for those who are more technically minded, what causes a hub to break/get damaged? I can understand needing a new wheel bearing 'cause when thinking about it there was a noise there, but it has just occurred to me that I can't make sense of why I need a new hub.

Sorry for the essay, haha.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

have u by any chance been to the same place both times it failed? that happened to me befor. went to a "really good" place called motest, 2 years in a row i went there, 2 years it failed. so now i use swiftest. ive taken my gf's car there and thought it would fail but it passed first time and i took my car there beginning of jan and knew it would fail as the front tyres were nearly bald. it did fail cause of the front tyres but that was all it failed on so i was happy with that. not going back to motest again.
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

I just use my local VW dealership.
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

What a bugger, hope it doesn't happen to me. I'm getting my service done, then mot and at the same garage so hopefully won't have to pay for a retest
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

A Retest is free providing it is done within 7 days of an MOT failure at the issuing garage.
VR6 South
Bronze Member

Post by VR6 South »

alexperkins wrote:A Retest is free providing it is done within 7 days of an MOT failure at the issuing garage.
Isn't that only if they carry out the work? and I think there is now a re-test fee of 50% IIRC
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

It's a free retest if its with the same garage you had the original test with,

You can take it elsewhere to get the work done as far as I was aware?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Your correct tim. As long as its the same garage for restest its fine.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

yeh thought so,

Because a mate of mine had the MOT on his Mondeo, and had two pages worth of faults!!

He took it away and spent pretty much teh whole week sourcing parts and fitting them himself
womble68
Bronze Member

Post by womble68 »

Some dodgy garages will however try and tell you otherwise. I had this happen when sorting out somebody else's car. One of Handbrake cables was applying properly. I told them I didn't expect a charge when I returned within 7 days in a fairly plain way, and they seemed to change their mind and didn't charge.
Since then I've been taking my car and any others to the Local Councils testing centre. They have no reasons to fail the car unnecessarily since they don't gain anything from it.
And if I'm lucky this year I'll be taking mine to the Dealer my Girlfriend's working for, because they'll not charge me a bundle. Will be interesting to see :)
bbspolo
Gold Member

Post by bbspolo »

sorry chaps your wrong ! Im an mot tester at a vw garage and its at the garages descrestion only a free retest by law if the same garage fixes the problem Or u get it fixed else were but bring the car back in somthing like 24 hours!
Having said that we have never charged people when they bring there car back within a week! So its depends how nice your garage is!