New key

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
frankeygsxr1000
Getting There!

New key

Post by frankeygsxr1000 »

:lol:

Just managed to get a new key of ebay bout 2mins ago actually as my transponders poorly no flashing red light tried new battery but dead so just bought a brand new uncut key with transponder so all i need to do now is swap transponder and retune it from what i've read only problem is i dont have any other keys to put one in the ignition and one in the door so can i get the new blank key cut at a keycutter and not worry bout the immobizier but swap keys over from the new one to the old one?

what do you think peps?
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

I was under the impression that you had to have the car plugged into Vag-Com, and that you had to have a special ECU release code to enable the new transponder to work....

Might be wrong though!
frankeygsxr1000
Getting There!

Hmmm not sure bud i thought the vag com was for the immobizier and that you can reset the transponder like it say in your manual by 1 key in yhe inigtion and 1 in door yet agian i've only read this so could be wrong.....

Has anyone else got any experience in the matter?

Thanks lee
jonners_gti
Getting There!

Post by jonners_gti »

when i got my car it only came with one key, but as it was from a main dealer i made them provide a second one (they werent for doing it to start with).

however it took a while, firstly they had to order the key from germany as this is where all the key blueprints are held on a computer. when this finally arrived i had to take the car in and they re-programmed BOTH transponders.

by the looks of things i dont think it will be as easy as you think mate!
frankeygsxr1000
Getting There!

right cheers i'l have to ring vw then and probally get them program it :cry: apply the vaseline sir or the usual straight in 1 dry :shock:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

New keys have to be paired with the car for them to work. Its a complicated procedure and takes an hour or so to complete as it has to be connected to VWs servers directly to register the new key to the ECU. Costs around 50 quid normally to get it done at a dealer. We used to charge £58.75 for a key program - not cheap!!