Has my clock started ticking?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Has my clock started ticking?

Post by Mouse_GTI »

I was picking my car up from a garage that had to repair my sill after damaging it (it's still crap so gonna have to go back again :roll: ). Anyway took the backroads home for a nice drive. Decided to keep the music off for a change. I could hear faint whining noises. First I thought it was my clutch. The noise was constant anyway and seemed to vary in pitch depending on my speed.

Then thought about my gearbox. I put my ear close to it and I could hear very very faint whining. Is this normal operation or a cause for concern? It seemed louder in 5th gear and not as noticeable at low speed. It's hard to describe but like I mentioned before, it varied in pitch with the speed. Again it was very faint, like you had to concentrate a little to really notice it, but it is there
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

If it is gearbox troubles, then it will whine most in either 5th or 4th, but not the lower gears.
I'd say take it easy for the next few miles and see if you hear it get louder, but I think it may be the gearbox.
Also check out the wheel bearings.
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Definately not the wheel bearings, they were checked last week. I hope it ain't my box, it's only done 45k. I was hoping to at least reach 60k :(
1 GTI
Silver Member

gearbox

Post by 1 GTI »

45k is average I would say. Mine packed up on 56k
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

I wouldnt worry about it, there is no point....i spent the whole year owning my gti hearing whining noises especially when its late & quiet and all you are doing is listening for a noise lol

Every box whines a bit, its obvious when the whining is a bad sign, when my mk4 box went the noise got really bad, even when i was listening to loud music i could hear it..

then it stop selecting gears and the whining noise turned into a whine/grind noise, everyone was looking at me on the street, I never got any further than that, dropped it to VW for diagnosis & then I got my Gti

like max said if its the box its more noticable in 4th & 5th usually
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

I'll just have to turn up Phil Collins a little louder then tomorrow :lol:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

shantybeater wrote:I wouldnt worry about it, there is no point....i spent the whole year owning my gti hearing whining noises especially when its late & quiet and all you are doing is listening for a noise lol

Every box whines a bit, its obvious when the whining is a bad sign, when my mk4 box went the noise got really bad, even when i was listening to loud music i could hear it..

then it stop selecting gears and the whining noise turned into a whine/grind noise, everyone was looking at me on the street, I never got any further than that, dropped it to VW for diagnosis & then I got my Gti

like max said if its the box its more noticable in 4th & 5th usually
You old car sounds exactly the same as my old car James!! The box on my peugeot was diabolical,

Like everyone's said I wouldn't worry about it at this point Mouse, I've got a stupid sound that can be heard if I listen really carefully, have learned to put up with it for now.
GeeTeeI
New

Post by GeeTeeI »

Mouse_GTI wrote:Definately not the wheel bearings, they were checked last week. I hope it ain't my box, it's only done 45k. I was hoping to at least reach 60k :(
As much as I hate to say it - Mine went at 28k :(
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

GeeTeeI wrote:
Crickey, you must have slammed that box about!
nogwuy
Silver Member

Post by nogwuy »

I can hear a constant, annoying whining noise in my car, but only happens when the wifes in the passenger seat :wink: :lol:
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Turned the music off again today on the dual carriageway. The noise is a little louder than it was a few days ago. Not good :(
GeeTeeI
New

Post by GeeTeeI »

Tim_GTi wrote:
GeeTeeI wrote:
Crickey, you must have slammed that box about!
I bought it at 28k. Damn the person that had it before me though, i've paid thosands of pounds worth of repairs from his car abuse!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

GeeTeeI wrote: I bought it at 28k. Damn the person that had it before me though, i've paid thosands of pounds worth of repairs from his car abuse!
Yeh sounds like they slammed it about, then sold it on! sucks a bit, you just gotta be careful who your buying off, I'd walk away from a show winner if I didn't like the look of the owner