New polo gti owner, HELP GRINDING NOISE!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

New polo gti owner, HELP GRINDING NOISE!

Post by Trottagti »

Hey guys this is my 1st post on here so be nice lol!

Got the usual problems like clutch pedal snap and then after that my steerin colum had to be replaced once vw found out it was damaged because of a monkey garage, so 670pound after i bort it later at xmas all is well, UNTIL i here a grinding kinda noise now and then, some1 said it was near the rear of engine like a heat sheild or summin,! Any guesses what it could be guys??? Thanks, itsa silver 3door gti with colour coded front splitter, black badges all round and red piping on grille, debadge polo aswell!! Love the car just i earn not alot as im an apprentice in the car sprayin trade for rolls royce and bentley, doin coachworks!

So yeah can ne1 help a 20 year old lad lol?????????????????????
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

What does the grinding sound like and where abouts is the noise coming from - is it when idling, or when moving?
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

It does it both mate and its like from the underbelly of the engine, near the cat like infront of cat really it does it all over rev range to be honest! only just noticed it today!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Is gear selection ok? Thats the driveshaft where your describing so it could be something a little srious
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

I get that very infrequently on mine, and I got told it's just a loose heat shield.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds like its evil lol :P
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

clutch release bearing i'd say, there noisy on the mk5, does it quiet'n down when you push clutch in, then when you depress it does it get louder?
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Na it just does it now and then it drives fine, pulls nicely and revs as it should, just a horrid noise now and then i fope its heat sheild cos well i cant afford a higher credit card bill lol! i got a credit card for this car when it goes wrong ha, joys of the gti lol! Il wait til summin breaks i think or mit book it in 4 a service then ask them to check it over, how much isa service btw a 36thousand mile one as i bort car from auction for 3450, bargin ina way even after spendin 670 on the car! 51plate! what do i need to ask when there giving it a service as my service history was stolen so im bookin it in anyway as to be sure its ok!
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

sounds like a loose heat shield...or an exhaust mount needs replacing, is it an aftermarket system?
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

All standard at the minit, im bookin a service tomorow a big one like changin everything, should be around 220, gona ask to have gearbox mounts checked and rods realighned aswell! they oh me that after spendin nearly 700quid with them lol! showed my dad the noise and to all wonders it never made the grindy weird noise lol, but il leep ya all in date with procedings!

Also does decating standard system leaving original back box increease performance and noise i woulda fort it would have!????
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

yeah but it wont pass an m.o.t
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Yeah i no it wont but my mates gets me mots iv had a saxo decat he put it strait thru wink wink lol! theres a company down the road pipe craft that make decats, bolt in ones using the same fixings or similar ones as on the cat, with an induction kit cold air feed a viper iv got to install once silicone hose is bort! Would the performance be noticable?? And noise from the decat, would that be loud???
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

You would notice the sound of it de-catted, probably not much performance wise though, not on a standard system anyway