1.9 TDi

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Jedi
New

1.9 TDi

Post by Jedi »

Hi all just joined up. I have a 02 1.9 TDi problem is i can't seem to get anymore then 350 miles on a tank. I've also got a Golf 1.8T and i can easily get 330 miles to a tank in that. Given that the Golf has a bigger tank, works out i'm getting around 31 MPG in the Golf and around 42 MPG in the Polo (on a good week) so i'm sure there's something wrong with it, what sort of figures are you guys getting? Other then that and the Creaking suspension :twisted: can't really fault the car. Love the torque and the handling and especially the look on other drivers faces as they get left by a little Polo diesel, so deceiving! Any help much appreciated

PS Mole thanks for the invite if you remember me
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

Hi mate and welcome.

I don't get huge amounts of MPG, about 45 myself.

Maybe the MAF sensor is screwed? I know the Golf boys suffer with this, also the type of diesel you put in. I found Shell to be the best. My car doesn't like BP for some reason.
Jedi
New

Post by Jedi »

BP Ultimate since i've had it. Heard a few stories about the MAF going on UK-MKIVS.net, although they replace them with a Merc MAF which seems to make the world of difference anyone done it on here? 45 sounds a little better then mine but what sort of roads is that on?
jrw
Silver Member

Post by jrw »

Same here, my MAF says 42 and thats with normal BP and its around the same with Esso.
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

45 is A roads, haven't really been too far in it yet ,I.E motorways, the Merc MAF must fit, it's all the same?
harry
Silver Member

Post by harry »

i got one aswell, never really looked at the mpg just enjoy the smooth power.. 8)
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

I dont know if it helps, but I usually get around 380 miles although I have had over 400 from my FSi. MPG usually around 42 can be up to 48.

Although it's meant to be a 45 litre tank, I can only put around 35-38. I'm not sure if it's a different size tank for the TDI??

Mind you I do mostly drive like an old fart.

James.
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

I've regualry had 490+ out of mine (mostly motorway driving however - so it can be done)

I'm currently on 325 miles with 80+ in the tank, my car is kicking around the 19000 mile mark, you do notice a massive increase in MPG once you hit 15000 plus. I also only put in BP Ultimate.

Both the MPG and the range are there you just need to work at it.

Also the Golf's tank holds an extra 10 litres which explains a 330 mile range. Next time put the same amount of fuel in the Golf as you do with the Polo then see what you get - quite a shock I imagine. :shock:

Des
Jedi
New

Post by Jedi »

So 42-45 is around normal, probably hook it up to VAG COM next time i'm at the dealers just to make sure.
I dont know if it helps, but I usually get around 380 miles although I have had over 400 from my FSi. MPG usually around 42 can be up to 48.

Although it's meant to be a 45 litre tank, I can only put around 35-38. I'm not sure if it's a different size tank for the TDI??
That's quite impressive! Wish mine was like that, i was driving like a grandad for the last tank and still only managed 345. The TDi has the same size tank, most of the time i can only get 38 litres in as well.

I've regualry had 490+ out of mine (mostly motorway driving however - so it can be done)

I'm currently on 325 miles with 80+ in the tank, my car is kicking around the 19000 mile mark, you do notice a massive increase in MPG once you hit 15000 plus. I also only put in BP Ultimate.

Both the MPG and the range are there you just need to work at it.

Also the Golf's tank holds an extra 10 litres which explains a 330 mile range. Next time put the same amount of fuel in the Golf as you do with the Polo then see what you get - quite a shock I imagine.
That's the sort of figures i expected when i bought the car. Mines done 23000 miles so there's no chance she's still tight. The comparison i made with the Golf was the MPG difference i wasn't saying i'm going to get the same amount miles out of the tank, i was saying i expected a big difference between the two. According to VW's MPG figures on a combined cycle the Golf should do around the mid-30's so 31 is quite realistic, compared to the Polo's mid-50's claim and the actual amount it's drinking the Polo doesn't look to healthy.
tdisport
Getting There!

MPG

Post by tdisport »

I getting 400 miles + out of my TDI.
I know its a 1.4 but should be about same as 1.9.

I have heard that these engine don't come into their own until 16k+.

Mate has A2 with same engine and thats what he reckoned.

tdisport.
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

Damn I have only just touched 3000 miles since September...

Few trips up north and back me thinks! :lol:

When is the new Shell diesel coming to London? :(
leonsmith
Bronze Member

mpg

Post by leonsmith »

I travel 20 miles each way to work during the week, most of it being on reasonably fast and clear A-Roads but the last couple of miles in heavy stop/start traffic.

If I drive carefully I can consistently average 50mpg from my 1.9 TDi, managing around 450 miles on a tank. Watch things like heated rear window/mirrors/seats, air conditioning etc - which will all lower your overall mpg. I've also got my tyres pumped up to their max.

Mine has done 12k miles and i've noticed the overall mpg steadily climbing too.
tdisport
Getting There!

MPG

Post by tdisport »

I have had 60-62 on the computer on number 1 for average MPG but anyone got nearer 70 mpg?

I have whispers it is possible!

tdisport
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

LOL look at all the tdi lads posting their MPG figures. :D

Most I've had on a single run is 62MPG but that was a very steady 55-70 MPH drive. Very boring though.

Des
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

I just got 51 or so MPG on a 12 mile round trip...

Although that was being overtaken by slowwww things IE milkfloats :lol: