need help/advice on vw locking nuts

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
loud
Gold Member

need help/advice on vw locking nuts

Post by loud »

My cars in a garage and they are sayin they can't find the locking wheel nut, searched the car many times and no sign of it, I phoned the folk I bought it from who fitted two tyres before I bought it so used the nut and they are just saying it'll be in the car...but it looks like it isn't.

they are saying to remove and replace the bolts it'll be like £150 cos of the time it'll take...

can you get a replacement key or anything? It says in the handbook the code for the nut is on the nut itself...that's handy.

I really don't know the best way to go about it, I'm absolutely furious so not really thinking straight
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

VW dealers have a mastr key that will work on it. I don't know what you have to do to get them to do it for you though
MateyGuv
Sponsor

Post by MateyGuv »

I'm fairly sure the VW locking nuts only have about 20 variations so you should be able to order a new one through parts with your chassis number for about £20
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

£150 :shock:

Thats a load of rubbish! You can get hold of a kit which has lots of different attachments for removing locking wheel nuts without the special bolt!!! It ruins the locking wheel nut but then you've only gotta pay for a new set!!! £15 approximately.

Pretty sure Bstardchild has a kit!
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

get a cheap 18mm socket, hammer, 10 mins....

...happy times... lol
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I think it's more around 50 different variations. Any dealer should be able to help you out though.
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

cool i'll check around, there's no way i was going to pay that much money for something like that!

cheers for the replies
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

Tim_GTi wrote:I think it's more around 50 different variations. Any dealer should be able to help you out though.
as said, there are over 50 combinations, i'm sure if you took it to VW explained whats happened and proved the car is yours and stuff they could help you..
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

kc wrote:get a cheap 18mm socket, hammer, 10 mins....

...happy times... lol
Exactly, and now a tip for everyone else, go and get that key and note down the ident on it - just in case.
I'm sure that there will be a way to "decode" the damaged, but removed mystery security bolt - then just get VW to order you in a new set with that coding - must be possible even although they would rather just sell you a new but random coded set.
flyfs6
Silver Member

Post by flyfs6 »

Check the tool kit/vinyl pouch thing. There's a little compartment/pocket within. It maybe in there, thats where it was in mine from new.
whitegtipolo

Post by whitegtipolo »

if you live near me ill get em off have a special too we do cos we need it for our job when doing a spare wheel and they dont have a lock nut ! Has loads a attachments and a impact driver! :lol:
david burton

Post by david burton »

don't get anyone other than VW to sort it out. there's no point in getting someone to force the locking bolt off.

just pop to VW and explain you don't have the "key". They'll get a kit and offer up the various types of master socket until one fits. it'll cost about 16 quid for the replacement.

have a closer look in the boot though, as mentioned above. I did this exact process on my passat and the thing was actually hidden in the aforementioned pouch!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

david burton wrote:don't get anyone other than VW to sort it out. there's no point in getting someone to force the locking bolt off.

just pop to VW and explain you don't have the "key". They'll get a kit and offer up the various types of master socket until one fits. it'll cost about 16 quid for the replacement.
If you do go down this route, why not get them to remove all four security bolts and buy four new ordinary ones to fit while the new adaptor is being ordered - or just buy a new locking wheel bolt kit if time and fuel is a problem.

When this happened to my mate with his Saab, local tyre fixer just whacked on a "tight fit" socket - no wheel damage but one locking bolt wrecked. He had a serious word with his garage "did you try removing the spare wheel - we sometimes just throw it (the adaptor) back in" they said. They were right, but as always best to check up on these things BEFORE you need to use them,especially when buying a used car.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

There are 57 combinations of VW locking bolt. Most good dealerships hold two sets of master removal nuts and should just let you use the correct one when asked for. We always did anyway!