new to the polo scene and already have problems!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
giz
New

new to the polo scene and already have problems!

Post by giz »

hi all,
i have a problem! my new car is smoking from the exhaust quite a lot,and it's drinking fuel...£15 and i've done 57 miles.
it's a f reg 1.1 polo cl i've adjusted the mixture screw but it's still smoking , there's oil all over the sump.there was a black liquid coming out of the exhaust which looked like dilute oil but since i adjusted the mixture it has stopped! also before i adjusted it it was miss fireing and had no power but now it's ok.
please help
before i bought it i hated vw's and now my opinion is still the same!
prove me wrong help me fix it! :lol:
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

id start with a good service, oil change, new air filter, plugs , maybe leads and rotor arm n dist cap

then get the carb set up on a gas meter and see how it goes
giz
New

Post by giz »

erm ok....
the car cost £180 a good service costs how much?
the car is just temp untill my mini :shock: (god rest my sole ) is ready, i just need a quick fix to make it run better and then get shot of the damn thing!
but thanks for the sugestion tho!

any more ideas?

giz
giz
New

Post by giz »

this morning i took it to the local garage and it turns out it's got a knackered head gasket!!!!

so who wants to buy a polo? sensible suggestions only viewings any morning this week..........

but i warn you it's a right dog!!!!!

giz
Polo Paul
Silver Member

Post by Polo Paul »

hmmmm, solid german engineering, or a 40 year old british designed and built death trap. It is close but even with a knackered head gasket i'd still take the VW.

How temporary is the polo meant to be, if its not to bad body wise or if you have some technical expertise why not fix it? It'd probably outlast any british car from the same or later era given the right treatment.
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

yeah a headgasket isnt really a big deal on a polo
giz
New

Post by giz »

Polo Paul wrote: How temporary is the polo meant to be, if its not to bad body wise or if you have some technical expertise why not fix it? It'd probably outlast any british car from the same or later era given the right treatment.
very temporary click here[/url]
giz
New

Post by giz »

Polo Paul wrote: or a 40 year old british designed and built death trap.

don't you mean british icon?!!! :twisted:
pring
New

Post by pring »

ive had two minis an after the clutch servo and brake servo went the exhaust fell off my last on then as i was goin round an island the driveshaft thought it would just pop out, think ill stick with dubs, bros had a mk2 golf gti 16v for 11 years now an hardly had any problems
retrowagen1234
New

Post by retrowagen1234 »

Polo Paul wrote:hmmmm, solid german engineering, or a 40 year old british designed and built death trap. It is close but even with a knackered head gasket i'd still take the VW.

How temporary is the polo meant to be, if its not to bad body wise or if you have some technical expertise why not fix it? It'd probably outlast any british car from the same or later era given the right treatment.

the point is he prefers the mini, minis aint bad if they are looked after , its the same with german cars, if they get bodged they are bound to fall appart