Strange Problem

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Strange Problem

Post by Tim_GTi »

Right, had this problem for a while, and still haven't been able to solve it.

My rear coilovers are, as they stand, level.

They both measure 8.5cm from the top of the lip off my Monos to the bottom most central point of my arch.

However when I have people in the back of my car, they compress differently.

The rear left will drop alot further and scrub, whilst the right hand side compresses less and does not. The left hand one will then remain compressed like this for a few hours before returning to it's original position.

I measured them today with the wheels off, from the bottom arm to the adjustor ring on the bottom of the coils (see pic below)

It turns out my left side is close to two inches shorter than my right hand side. Which would fully explain why it scrubs and the otherside doesn't.

But it doesn't explain why they both sit level in the first place? surely the left side would be two inches lower?

I went out today and wound the left side up a 15mm or so, which is still no where near as high as what the right side is. Yet once the wheels are on the arch gap is massive and it's unlevel?

Can anyone help?

EDIT:

Here's a picture in summary, hopefully will explain it better

Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

its to do with the counter ballance i think Tim, if you look at the drivers rear wheel it might be off Camberd slightly aswell, its for when YOU the driver sit in the car it EVENS it out slightly, i had this on my blue polo also, my left wheel was further away from the arch then the drivers side which was closer, not height wise but horizontal way
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

But it's quite an extreme difference? Were talking 50mm of strut arm that has just disappeared? It doesn't show when the car sits as it is, for its level.

But it shows when there's someone sitting on that seat.

So I'm thinking either the spring is dodgy or something somewhere is twisting or uneven :?
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

how old are the struts Tim?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

they'll be as old as the car mate
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

stupid thing but it might need re gassing?
BENNO
Getting There!

Post by BENNO »

Have you got equal thread at the top of the coilies, where it comes through the boot.. just a guess, they may be different and causing you the problems.
bbspolo
Gold Member

Post by bbspolo »

tim check the shock hasnt colapsed or the sping hasnt snapped let me know and ill try help u from there!
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

i noticed this on my coilies as well, one side was obviously higher & i had to wind one side up a fair bit more to compensate...
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

The shock hasn't collasped or the spring broken.

It's just weird, it wouldn't really bother me, but it's just impossible to ride with someone in the that seat, because it compresses so low and scrubs. I've taken it up a bit now, and it shows because they aren't even now. But they are when someone gets in the car.

the threads are also equal at the top.

James - what exactly du mean by re-gassing?

The only other thing I can think of is because they are a cheap kit the springs compress unevenly? :?
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

Well, a car that is old and has been used for everyday comuting is going to be fine, but say for instance a car that is used to towing say a caravan the shock is under more stress then usual, but this cant be coz your towing a caravan but what iam saying is that that shock could be a 'duff' shock?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

You've lost me a tad mate :?
bbspolo
Gold Member

Post by bbspolo »

u cant regas shocks! u throw them away and replace them or get them rebuilt by the manufacter (not cheep had 2 get my gaz shocks on my cossie done :-(

tim were they ebay specials??

with suspention u rearly get what u pay for sadly! a decent set of shocks and shorter spings are so much better than all these cheep coilies wouldnt catch me fitting them 2 any of my cars! i would go as far 2 say standard vw shocks with a good set of springs are better!!

but tim im not taking a high horse i know what its like trying 2 mod a car on a limited budget (im doing it on 3 lol) and u have done an amazing job (if only it had 2 less doors would be my fav gti on here, cant beat black smooth gtis!)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh I think that's what I'm going to put it down as. A dodgy shock.

Cheers for the help Dan and James, much appreciated.

I was just worried I had incorrectly set things up, or something was twisted badly and was about to give way (which may still be the case, but at least I am more at ease now).
young dubber
Bronze Member

Post by young dubber »

Maybe the shock is sticking or not damping properly sounds as if there is less gas in one side than the otherwhen being compressed thus going lower when weight aplied.