Polo Boring

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
sagaris
Getting There!

Polo Boring

Post by sagaris »

I've had my GTi for 2 years now, and I'm starting to find it boring to drive. I'm thinking of getting a mk5 r32, I test drove one the other day and it was just awesome.

Whats people take on the GTi whose driven one for some time?
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

well including my old one ive had a polo gti now about 2 years...

and still not bored!

the look on peoples face when you boot it a little is just worth keeping it!

map it, slam it, hammer it

best way for it :lol: 8) 8)
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

my gti is 23 months old and i think ill keep it forever, its an awesome little machine

absolutely love it, getting it just how you want it is fun and prevents boredom too,

i had a mk5 golf gti and hated it, thought it was big and boring, not as agile and as fun as the polo

personal preference though i guess
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

What mods have u done to your polo engine wise?

After I got the remap on it last year its been great fun even up to now, just so quick and thats just with stage one. Gettin a 2.5" downpipe next week then i'll enjoy that little bit extra bhp then i'll get stage two and that'll be frickin awesome!! :) eat up a lot of cars out there! :twisted:
andy947
Bronze Member

Post by andy947 »

Polo's are pretty boring

The GTI's are just basic cars with bigger engine put in, with no real though about the real engineering required.

The suspension setup is utterly garbage, front strut/arb design is crap, clonking and no adjustment possible.

The brakes are crap, and they use an old ABS system.

The engine mountings havn't been re-designed for the power, all of you with remapped cars will eventually experience steering judder due to a weak dogbone mount, and the rest of the mounts will go soft quickly aswell. Lets not mention the suspension bushes. . . .

You also lose huge amounts on Polo's of money on Polo's as the second hand values are poor.

The GTI is a miles better car, and the R32 engine is just superb, the DSG box is nice aswell if you fancy it.

I'm glad i've got rid of mine, and am replacing it with the Scirocco - cos its even better than the Golf GTI :lol: 8)
sagaris
Getting There!

Post by sagaris »

I was thinking of getting it remapped, but then thought about how much it would gain, which is not alot.

I've got the panel filter, dv, exhaust, downpipe, brakes and wheels done. I got those shiny door panels from vag and still not fitted them since early this year.

It is fun when you add stuff to the car, but the car will only go so far to modding. I think I'm done with modifying.

May I ask approximately how much people have spent on modifying there polo's.
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

No point doin all that and not gettin a map on it? You will be able to get stage two if ya want??

Ave spent about a grand sice i got it 2 yrs ago. Not a lot compared to a lot a ppl on here! :lol:
Bradders
New

Post by Bradders »

who told you that you dont gain a lot from a re map ?????
sagaris
Getting There!

Post by sagaris »

Bradders - I assume it's not alot, judging by what people have done to theres. If you gain alot, then there's just too much modding to get to those figures. When I can get a car with those high figures already, without modding.

I know KennyPOLO_Gti, but starting to have second thoughts. If I don't get the R32, I'd probably keep the Polo and not remap it. Which I know is wasted the other stuff I've added on.
Last edited by sagaris on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradders
New

Post by Bradders »

fair play. i drove mine for 2 years standard then got it mapped last week and the results are awsome, before that i thought that there wouldnt be a vast difference but its astonishing. with your mods itll be even better.

although the r32s are s**t hot, a guy at work has one, very jealous. i think id swap my polo for one if funds allowed!!
sagaris
Getting There!

Post by sagaris »

I just cannot get over when I drove the R32, the acceleration it had just threw me back :D. The DSG is certainly nice, also the brakes were just awesome. The more I talk about it, the more I want one.

I think I've spend over £1500 on my mods. Which is just plain stupid of me.
Rich_T
Gold Member

Post by Rich_T »

sagaris, if your thinking of selling any of your mods just let me know!! :wink:
Bradders
New

Post by Bradders »

let me know first lol!

id be interested in the brakes and exhaust if you decide to go for some 6 cylinder fun!!!!
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

think about the insurance saving with a polo gti dirt cheap to insure compared to any other hot hatch and no one says "thats different" with a golf , its just a car you see all the time!
sagaris
Getting There!

Post by sagaris »

I've checked the insurance and its just over £900. I haven't checked everywhere, but just admiral at this time. Its not as bad as thought it was going to be.