Thule roof rack - recommended

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Thule roof rack - recommended

Post by david burton »

I've just got back from 5 days in Dorset doing a bit of kayaking and mountain biking. I've got a tandem mountain bike and needed to put it on the roof (for obvious reasons) but was petrified of what damage the roof rack might do.

My dad gave me his Thule bars and I got the fitting kit the other month as a birthday present (cheers!).

I put the rack on last Friday and the bike went on easily. The rack is easy to fit and is very well made. No marks were left by the feet and it's extremely sturdy. Very happy.

One last point is that MPG plummets with a rack on! 70-80 brought the MPG down to 45 which still isn't too bad, but I'm used to 55.

pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

cars still looking awsome even with it on lol

my dad has a van/estate for that type of thing :lol:
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

Not going for the euro look then lol, how does the roof rack fit? The car is looking great.
david burton

Post by david burton »

The front feet are located with a locator hole about halfway along the front door underneath the roof. The feet then tighten down against a rubber foot on the top of the roof and the locator hole on the underneath of the roof and it's firmly clamped.

For the rear feet the clamp is once again against the top of the roof (using molded rubber feet) and on the top of the rear window glass (3 door) there is a gap with a rubber seal that you push the foot into. The clamp then grips the roof securely.

Both clamps are rubber coated, so as long as you are careful about removing grit from the feet then you won't get any marks. For the rear, once I'd finished using the rack I ran my credit card underneath the seal to pop it out into the proper shape again.
wes_keo
New

Post by wes_keo »

yeah ill have to agree with you on this one. the thule system is awesome. with me it takes 3 bikes with ease. easy to fit and remove and so much more convienient that putting dirty bikes in the back of the car.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Where abouts in our lovely county of Dorset did you go david?
david burton

Post by david burton »

alexperkins wrote:Where abouts in our lovely county of Dorset did you go david?
We went to very near Wareham forest - great place to go!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Bout 20 mins from me :D