Banging from L/H coilover?

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
Rupie
Bronze Member

Banging from L/H coilover?

Post by Rupie »

Since fitting my coilovers ive noticed that the left hand (O/S) suspension unit is making a right bang as i go over bumps, the right one is pretty quiet... It doesnt make it at really low speed, but speed bumps at anything above 5mph make it make a right clunk... anyone any ideas?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Coilovers are noisey. But a big bang doesn't sound right. How low are you on them?
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

only about 50-60mm? it only happens on one side...it will bang over literally anything at speed, but nothing at low speed.. need to take it off really on my next day off and see nothing has come loose then torque everything back on again...when your tyres hit your arches do they bang? or is it more of a scraping noise?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh it's a fast scraping sound. A bang normally signifies it's bottoming out, but it shouldn't at only 60mm, even if it needed regassing you'd see it would sit lower.

Best check it out soon as you can mate.
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

best not need regassing, lol its about 2 weeks old! lol itt take it off and make sure everythings tight then refit it and see if that sorts it, its deffo not a scraping, its a bang lol.
Kelk11
Bronze Member

Post by Kelk11 »

did you manage to find out what this was as mine has done the same since lowering, not been arsed to have a look at what it is yet. but it is a clonk noise and happens more often when ive got a passenger too
Q86ARR
Getting There!

Post by Q86ARR »

Check for anti roll bar hitting the chassis leg.
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

how do i check for that? and what do i do if it is?lol cheers
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I'm sure you can mod the ARB so it doesn't, or get a shorter one made?
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

ive had this kinda problem befor and didnt know wat it was and when i checked all the nuts found out the main bolt at the top that holds the whole thing together was loose so after tightening it up it was fine. dunno if urs is the same but the bolt is quite big so cant miss it. under the cap in the engine bay. if u can move it by hand its loose. hopefully this will solve ur problem.
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

What Kind of Coils are these?

I have Fk's on and one of the shocks are f****d, and bangs all the time, it's leaking, so if the same as yours it'll be greasy all round it, i ordered a new set, and just waiting to be fitted, never again will i buy FK's
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

FK does not get good press!
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

Tim_GTi wrote:FK does not get good press!
Not any more they dont, FAir enough there over a year and a half, but still shouldnt't leak etc!

And all the paint is f****d on the springs, its like paper now!! they look all nice when recived all gold etc, then the rust up and oxidise!!!

Mon the Cheap Coils with 2 year Gaurentee lol
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Most people that buy them seem to encounter problems with them.
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

Everthing is deffinitly tight, i swapped the 2 front coilovers over a few days ago, logic being that if it then banged on the r/h side it was the damper, and if it continued to bang on the left it was something else... its still banging on the left. lol
2 of my mates that have been in the car claim they cant hear anything, it only happens when going over particually sunken manholes or grates at about 30mph..
i dont know if this is normal or if im hearing things...