Changing locks

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Changing locks

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hi all,

The drivers door lock on my polo has broken. Turn the key and it doesn't turn the mechanism. Until today I've been able to get in still because the central locking still works, so the pump opens the lock, but now even that seems to have gone - I think the switch has just shifted out of position. Think it's probably time that I actually replaced the locks - easy enough from a scrapper, my worry is the ignition though. I don't want to just leave it, as then I'd have to deal with two keys and that's just a pain.

My question is, how easy is the ignition barrel to change on a 6n, and would I run into any problems with the immobiliser? I presume the sensor for the transponder chip is incorporated into the barrel, but would really like to know if I'm wrong before I start!

Cheers for the help,

- Ruari
L'enfant terrible
Bronze Member

Post by L'enfant terrible »

You don't need to change the whole lock. I had this problem and just replaced the paddle and the carrier on the back of the lock, kept the same barrels. Probably cheaper and much easier than changing ignition...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah, fantastic! I don't terribly know about locks though, do you mind describing the bits that need changing?

Cheers!
L'enfant terrible
Bronze Member

Post by L'enfant terrible »

You can get the stuff from scrappy but might not always be the right size etc so I'd get them from eBay if you can. I've bought the following for both of my doors because it feels so much more sturdy when turning the key than the stuff already on the car.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_dmpt ... &_osacat=0

It's quite expensive for what it is but it works. Also they email you instructions if you need to know how to fit it. It's a 5 minute job max.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Looks great - pricey for a small part maybe, but certainly less than I'd be looking at to change all the locks and the ignition barrel!

Cheers for the help!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Paddles are about £1.25 from a dealer :)