Possibly selling up

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Possibly selling up

Post by M@Turner »

Hi guys.

As the title says, i'm thinking of selling the Polo and getting something cheaper!

I recently started a new job and although i can still afford to keep the Polo, i'm starting to rack up the miles, not having time to clean it, and when i start working more on site the car will be getting filthy daily!!!

So i'm considering getting something else!!!

I want to stay in the VAG scene and ideas of cars have varied loads. Want something that will give me 3-4 years of relatively hassle free motoring!

Here's a list of the cars i've thought of should i sell up!!!
Lupo 1.4
Lupo GTi
Polo Mk5 (possibly GTi)
Polo Mk6
Bora 1.8T
Ibiza MK3 Cupra
Ibiza MK4 TDi
Fabia VRS

What are your thoughts guys? Other cars maybe to consider too!?

Thanks
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

why not keep your gti, and get a cheap car for nocking about in, i picked up a mk3 fiesta 1.8d for free, yes, free on an L plate, had 91k on the clock, with no mot, needed some welding, tyres and bulbs, cost me 40 quid to put it on the road, proper scrap yard challenge

its reliable as hell, and when things go wrong, they cost next to nothing to fix, being plenty in junk yards

best bit, is its 3rd party fire and theft, and only costs me 197 quid a year to insure, leting me keep my gti as a toy/weapon

just a thought for ya
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

A cheap run around with be a fair call mate! Although to some, it's just not practical having two cars. A diesel would be a decent choice. So maybe look at the Fabia vRS? I'm relaly liking those cars at the moment 8)

Or a mark5 TDi? :wink:
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

so if your selling up to get a lesser expensive car, why get a top of the range one still, which your not going to want to take on site just the same and still want to care for just the same
may as well just enjoy what you have

just my 2p's worth
meeky
Bronze Member

Post by meeky »

i agree with jeff get a lil run about.

my old man is resting his golf GT TDI in the week cause he's in the same situation as you and he's using my old mk2 polo H plate to go back no fore to work.

you dont seem to solving the situation with the cars you listed there they seem to be very good cars.

other option will be just to get a van of some sort
more-bhp
Gold Member

Post by more-bhp »

You realise what it costs you to change a car....

I've sold cars, motorbikes, etc, etc...

Only way you win.. is to keep the car.... for as long as posible...

You change and you loose... maybe thousands.... however good the deal looks ;-)

just put miles on the polo, drive economically, let it get dirty.. it wont kill it...

sometimes I'm just to busy to wash the car.. woweee... its no biggy.... just wash it once every two or three months like most people....lol

then one weekend...when you feel happy... and the sun shines.... wash and polish... and drive the car for fun... and remember what its all about.... life is just too short....

Sorry.. I'm not preaching.. but I am now 38 and have been through this scenario so many times before.... and I was always glad I kept the car I loved .... now i do sound really soppy....

J
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

agree'dto an extent, but jason, wash it every 3 months, are you insane man, give me a call, i do mobile valeting on my days off, can come up with a nice little package to suit your needs if you wanted mate

no need to be waiting so long to clean it, just let me do it

polished mine again today, thats 4 layers its had now over 2 weeks, and its not mooved an inch haha

pushbike to work for the win ;)
more-bhp
Gold Member

Post by more-bhp »

sounds like a touch of OCD to me ... looooooooooooool

i like washing the car sometimes.... for a while both cars got washed every weekend... but now it gets colder and wetter outside...

polishing, waxing or whatever you want to call it.... well overdue...

I have just moved into a new unit.... so plenty of space undercover....

no excuse now I guess...

Jeff - How much to make my 2004 A4 2.5tdi Cabriolet look like new again ?

chrisjames
Silver Member

Post by chrisjames »

Go for a diesel but if you can keep the gti and get a run around
andy947
Bronze Member

Post by andy947 »

Be preapared for a massive shock when you find out what your polo is worth, they depreciate like rocks.

Glad i got rid of mine when i did, they care losing money like mad. . . . .
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

all reasonably quick cars are losing money like mad in the current climate, sh1t happens :P
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

andy947 wrote:Be preapared for a massive shock when you find out what your polo is worth, they depreciate like rocks.

and wait till you find how much your sirrocco has lost as soon as you drive off from the dealers

everyone loses money on cars, everyone knows, its not like its a new trend
andy947
Bronze Member

Post by andy947 »

Jeff GTi wrote:
andy947 wrote:Be preapared for a massive shock when you find out what your polo is worth, they depreciate like rocks.

and wait till you find how much your sirrocco has lost as soon as you drive off from the dealers

everyone loses money on cars, everyone knows, its not like its a new trend
Just look at Flyfs GTI as an example, that was over 16k list plus a couple k on mods and now he's under 10k selling it 2years on. . . . and its looks to be as good an example as you will find (from the pics)

Ignoring the mods, thats a 40% hit in 2yrs. . . .

The simple fact is the Polo is a very expensive small car and as such depreciation is a killer on it, much more so than the rest of the Polo range. I'm sure he realises most of this, but sometime people forget the true cost of 'downgrading'