new polo - will there be a GTI

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

new polo - will there be a GTI

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

hi all,

I'll be looking to p/x my glx for a mk5 gti in the near future, but wondered where VW are planning a GTI for the new shape polo?

I don't want to buy a mk5 gti and then VW bring out the new one, sending the value of the mk5 GTI plumeting.

Any comments or info, even speculation would be appreciated......

Taa

:)
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I havn't heard anything...

As far as I know, the PD TDi is the fastest they'll be doing for some time.

The GTi was a very limited run motor anyway, so it'll always command a decent price come trade-in time.

Just get one bought... you'll love it!
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

The TDi PD 100 is fast on the motorway and fuel economy is superb, I would recommend one as the torque really does pull you along at a surprising rate. It certainly dispatches most GTi's from the 50-70 70-90 range. :o

Sorry about that, as far as a GTi I heard they will put the 180bhp 1.8T in there, it will be the R model. I imagine they will also put the 130bhp tdi to cater for the diesel boys.

VW even considerred putting the V5 motor in there but it apparently upset the handling due to its weight.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

I think they would possibly stop at the 130TDi, as per the new SEAT Ibiza, as these cars are very similar
Speedlaw

GTI

Post by Speedlaw »

Well, I don't know if this is true or not, but I keep hearing about a 1.8T version GTI. Our German friends even claim to have spotted a camouflaged one on the autobahn... All this is from German sites and forums. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

I won't :( lol!

Nah it'll be good.

I've heard that it's going to be an 'R' not a 'GTI', using the 1.8T @ approx 180bhp.... 4Motion as well? Lets hope so.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Not sure if this will work, as it;'s a very long url. Anyway, here goes:

Linkage:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... vwnews.htm

Scroll to the bottom, past the MKV golf stuff:

- looks lower (could be sitting on melbournes or barcelonas - hard to tell)
- side skirts
- xenons? (headlamp wash)

I'm not confident about the picture, as the third from top - supposed to be the MKV golf GTI, looks like the new polo, albeit with slightly distorted rear clusters.

And the front valence - same profile as the Lupo GTI - could some photoshopping be going on here?

Still the engine sounds good!
(But given that "250 ten thousand yen" is £131,500, I'm beginning to have my doubts about it!!!)

What do you guys think?

(All this from still searching for web evidence to support the purcahse of the Lupo GTI (it's still sitting at my dealers. hmm...))

(Haven't seen these picture of MKV golf anywhere else, either).

Post by Guest »

I do think VW have somthing up their sleeve. For example Page 78 of the controls and equipment book (section 3.1 in the Polo Handbook) shows a 6 speed gearbox.

The current fastest Polo only has 5 speeds. Makes you think somthing faster is on the cards......