Help.. bad smell coming from my air cond.

Detailing & Bodywork
DJ
Bronze Member

Help.. bad smell coming from my air cond.

Post by DJ »

Guys..

My 1 year 9N is having some bad smell coming from the a/c, especially in the first few minutes when turning on the fans only, is there any method I can do myself, such as DIY changing the a/c filter..

Need your help... Pls feedback

DJ
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

You just need to run the a/c at full power every now and then for about five minutes - even if you don't need it.

Also if you use the recycle button in traffic make sure you do not have any bad odours in the car at the time (if your eating burgers or something worse - smoking) , these odours can get trapped in the filters and it's an expensive job to replace/repair them.

Check out the manual that came with the car - it'll explain it in there.

Des
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

You should be able to replace your pollen filter with little problem.

I have done mine twice now (cost about 6 pounds) and takes like 2 minutes to fit.

Then, as Des said, run it on LOW with the fan speed on maximum for about 5-10 minutes (then also run it at HIGH for a while too!)

HTH
DJ
Bronze Member

Post by DJ »

Thx Josh...

bought the filter today at around GBP12...(HKD170) .. fxxking expensive

will try to DIY, but where is the filter located.. engine bay or passenger compartment?.. Can you tell me the steps for replace it and anything i should beware?

Thx in advance

DJ

I'll try to take some pix while DIY and put it in the forum for other reference....
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I *think* its under the passenger footwell, a real git to get to on the 9n's apparently!

Audi had problems with customers complaining of bad smells from the air conditioning. The smells actually turned out to be odours that have been in your car (no offence, but probably your feet and takeaways etc).
But obviously its a bit hard to tell customers they have smelly feet! :lol:

Last month there was a VAG 'tool' released that pumps fragrance catridges into the air-con system, I don't know the outs and ins of it but I know its availiable! :D Not sure if that helps as I don't know if VW use these machines yet :?
jrw
Silver Member

Post by jrw »

Ive had the bad smell since new just after switching the A/C for a bout 5mins. They are meant to be sorting it on there list of many things! They've had they car a month today and counting :evil:
jrw
Silver Member

Post by jrw »

VW have sorted mine hopefully, just had it on on the way home and no smell when u turn it off
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

My other 'alf has a Lexus IS200 and on the Lexus Owners Club Forum there is mention of Lexus selling a gas bomb that you set off in the car whilst leaving the air con running. This deoderises the aircon system in the car.

Only thing i noticed may be dificult is that they said you have to have the air-con running in re-circulate mode which i've noticed you can't do with the climate control in the Polo. As soon as you hit the re-circulate button the air-con switches off.

Anyway, apparantly you buy them from Lexus dealers at around £10-20 i think.

Cheers

Dave.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Nelson_Wilbury wrote:I *think* its under the passenger footwell, a real git to get to on the 9n's apparently!

Audi had problems with customers complaining of bad smells from the air conditioning. The smells actually turned out to be odours that have been in your car (no offence, but probably your feet and takeaways etc).
But obviously its a bit hard to tell customers they have smelly feet! :lol:

Last month there was a VAG 'tool' released that pumps fragrance catridges into the air-con system, I don't know the outs and ins of it but I know its availiable! :D Not sure if that helps as I don't know if VW use these machines yet :?
HAHAHAHAA sorry just randomly read this thread and you tlaking about smelly feets just cracked me up! :lol: