Dan's Progress Thread :D

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

apparently 100% brighter. I decided on the 35W like you, comes with 2 year warrenty. Your grommet is well different to mine? I also had one a lot higher than the other when I 1st fitted them.
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

how you mean higher? the beam?

I was told the grommets I have indicate that they are for the headlights using reflectors rather than projectors..
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Yeah the beam. Leveled them out using the screws but not sure how perfect they are.

Yeah you said. I might give them an email and see what they say. Might be different batches or sumit?
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

Yea ask them, I just emailed them and they emailed back the next day.

I was told by Alex Perkins that its best to take off the connectors for the electric motors which move the beam. The reason for this is that when you first turn on the lights, there is a system in place which moves the headlight to lower them, and for some reason it messes up the beam.. Also HID's have to be levelled lower than regular headlights due to them being brighter..
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

Hey guys,

It's been a while, have had some money issues, several exhaust issues (still unresolved) and a loss of interest in the car.. I think I'm getting back on track now and to get me back into the spirit of it all I think I would like to finish off the front end of the car which has remained the same for months..

For a start change I want to change the full beam bulbs so they are at least slightly white, as currently they look terrible against the HID Dipped beam. So if anyone can recommend any replacement bulbs, that would be good :)

Secondly, I would like to get the lower grills changed.. So I plan to also get the fog lights.. which again, leads me onto bulbs :P I really don't want to fit the fog's and then never use them due to them being yellow.. Does anybody know of LED fog light bulbs?

Thirdly, I blew my front speakers (tweeters too) last week, so I will be looking to replace the speakers and probably amp them too.. This will of course all come after xmas due to a severe lack of money :( :( :(

Then I plan to possibly change my black badges back to silver for a while to see how I like it as I think I am going off the black ones.. :(

Finally, Probably sometime into the second half of 2009 (hopefully sooner) I would really like to get the car lowered about 40-50mm and get it some nice shiny new alloys to sit on!

If anyone else has any cheap little mods I could carry out in the meantime whilst I have no money then please mention them as I'm very eager to get some work done on it!

Cheers, Dan
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

You'd have to get HID full beams really mate. I've kept mine standard as not worth it for me, never do much country road driving.

Not sure about LED fogs as dont think they'll be bright enough. I'm using phillips xtreme bulbs but still look very yellow compared to the hids.
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Also why the loss of interest? Check my thread for little cheap mods as thats pretty much all i've done.
luke_poloe
Bronze Member

Post by luke_poloe »

I have ordered some H7 SMD LED's for mine just to try in the fog light, there off ebay cost me about £15 for 2 bulbs http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-H7-Fog-Lamp-18 ... .m63.l1177
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

I lost interest because it seemed things are just going wrong with the car..

My exhaust was blowing (cat and backbox) so I took it to kwik fit after a couple of months putting it of.. What a mistake is all I can say.. £277 later, I have an already rusting exhaust which I have taken back 3 times already as its not sealed properly and keeps developing worse holes than the original exhaust..

Next my clutch started creaking.. I instantly assumed it would be the pedal box which pee'd me off.. but Alex Perkins had a look and a drive and thinks it is just the clutch cable worn. So hopefully once thats done it will sure that problem.

I then discovered that if I put the car into full lock going forwards slowly there is a terrible screeching and rumbling noise somewhere from the wheels.. I'm yet to discover the problem for this.. It sounds like metal on metal scraping.. as if the brake discs are scraping something :S

As also mentioned previously, I've blown my front speakers which is going to cost me some more money.. plus whilst trying to get a door card off I broke the passenger grab handle cover..

There is rust on the passenger door sill which was refused under warranty by Volkswagen, so I have decided to sort that out myself..

I think for now that's all the problems :( so its just a case of finding the time and money to get them sorted, then I might be back on track again.. I'm just really not looking forward to the MOT which is going to be due in the first half of next year..

Cheers, Dan
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

Cheers Luke, just took a look and that's exactly the sort of thing I am after.. I don't expect them to be the brightest thing ever, I just love how the polo's look with the fogs on and it would look terrible with the yellow against the HID's :)

Anybody know what those Phillips full beam bulbs are? (Bright star? or something like that)
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Philips do xtreme or blue vision. Slightly whiter than standard but mainly just brighter. Still very noticable against HID's
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Them LED's look good, not sure how they'll be as fog lights but will def match the HID's. Just one thing, you cant put HID's in place of the Fogs as the heat will melt them.

Go for them LED's. Like to see what there like. Might get some myself.
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

Yeah I think they will look really good against the HID's :) Will get some when I have some money!

I will probably get some of those phillips lamps too if they are brighter.. I do a fair bit of country driving as my girlfriend lives sorta on the border and we like going for drives around the little country lanes.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Dan's Progress Thread :D

Post by alexperkins »

I have custom made LED fog lights and they are wicked :) Saying that, after all the money I spent having them made, I very rarely use them!
DanOliver
Silver Member

Re: Dan's Progress Thread :D

Post by DanOliver »

Haha cool :P

Err.. anyone else not too keen on this new forum update?