new camera time...

A place to discuss Photography and Photoshop, show off your skills and have the odd competition!
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

new camera time...

Post by kc »

Nikon D60 or Canon 450D??

discuss please lol

no fighting talk....

ive currently been using the Canon 400D, so the 450 is a upgrade for me, or shall i switch to nikon?

anyone with any of the above?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: new camera time...

Post by Tim_GTi »

My Dad has the 450D, I use it a fair bit and can say it's a really really nice camera. Huge screen.
brad mole
Silver Member

Post by brad mole »

do you still have canon lenses? if you do then you may as well stay with canon, but if you have no canon stuff left then id say move to nikon, just because i have one lol and i like it lol, i have a D80 by the way and you may want to consider it as its an upgrade from a D60 but prices are coming down with the new D90 out
Gra-GT
Gold Member

Post by Gra-GT »

I've got a D60. I love it. Although when I've had a play with a 400d that a mate at work has, it is a completely different menu system, so if you do swap it may take some getting used to.

Also like Brad says, if you got lenses with your 400d you'd be best to stick with Canon.

Also, I'm not too sure you can directly compare the D60 and 450d as there is such a huge price difference, with the only big difference between the two being the live view (except for the Nikon not having a built in focus motor so you need lenses that specify its for a D40/D40x/D60)

BUT, do you REALLY need a new one. I wouldnt say there is enough of an upgrade between the 400d and 450d to justify spending that much money, when you already have one (unless you wanted to switch to Nikon for other reasons). For people starting off with no camera, its worth spending the extra to go for the 450d over the 400d, but not really if you've already got the 400d.
brad mole
Silver Member

Post by brad mole »

BUT, do you REALLY need a new one. I wouldnt say there is enough of an upgrade between the 400d and 450d to justify spending that much money, when you already have one (unless you wanted to switch to Nikon for other reasons). For people starting off with no camera, its worth spending the extra to go for the 450d over the 400d, but not really if you've already got the 400d.
totally agree, if you already have a 400d there is no point going to the 450d, its practically the same, and if going to the d60, its not really an upgrade, just an equalliy good camera
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Agree also actually. Spend the money on a nice lens!
kc
Gold Member

Post by kc »

only reason i am getting a new one... is because i was silly and dropped it when i slipped off a rock, landed lens first so wrote off the lens and the body :(

so ive got pay out on insurance, just waiting for those prices to drop some more before i buy!

im more tempted to go for the 450 tbh - i had a play with the 1000D but it feels like a bloody fisher-price toy!

and now i find out that your all nikon boys! shock! lol
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

I got the 450d really good camera :wink:
kc
Gold Member

Post by kc »

well i went and bought a 450d body only, as jessops did a price match for me, so i picked it up for £385!! bargain!!

so came home, slapped my prime lens on it and started snapping woop!

only problem is the flash wont deploy :(

which means i have to return it boooo lol
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

I'm using a 450D and just got it today. Pretty easy to grasp the menu system and i'm learning quickly. The pictures it takes are very good and dispite having a lens with no zoom on it (its got an aftermarket lens) the quality is really clear. I've come from a Panasonic Lumix though, so unfortuantly I have nothing to compare it to sorry!