Location of Crank Sensor on 1.4 16v 100bhp engine

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
J9NO A
Getting There!

Location of Crank Sensor on 1.4 16v 100bhp engine

Post by J9NO A »

Hi guys

As title really, I have an intermittent fault with the crankshaft sensor on my car, thinking it could possibly be a loose or degraded connection, or if not I have a new sensor to fit anyway. I've had the undertray off but can't locate this sensor on the engine.

Anyone know exactly where it is and how easy it is to remove and replace I would be very grateful.

Regards

Jon
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Location of Crank Sensor on 1.4 16v 100bhp engine

Post by RUM4MO »

What makes you think that this part is faulty? The reason I ask is because I have had trouble with codes for this item on a 1.4 16V BBY engine - but that engine does not have a cam shaft sensor fitted, niether did I think had the other 1.4 16V engine - but I could be wrong!
J9NO A
Getting There!

Post by J9NO A »

Had a fault code for it.

Symptoms leading up to it are that the engine will die momentarily (i.e. no power and a jerk), the rev counter will drop to zero at the same time, and then it will all come back online and behave as normal again.

I'm fairly sure that these symptoms are indicative of a failed crank sensor, because the rev counter reading will be taken from the crank sensor.

Also I'm sure my engine has a cam sensor, located on the front of the head on the left (passenger) side.

Regards

Jon
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry, I've just read your original posting and it says "crankshaft" and not "camshaft" - I assummed or "saw" camshaft!
Lordnikon
Getting There!

Post by Lordnikon »

Cracnkshaft sensor is usually on the bottom side of the engine opposite to the gearbox so left hand side for us guys.

I'll have a poke around at the weekend and see if i can find it on my engine (same one)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've just being reading up my Haynes book for this info, "crankshaft sensor" can't be found in the index, I've dug deeper and this repair book starts to talk about the sensor wheel that this sensor uses and, it refers to the "right-hand crankshaft oil seal" as being next to the crankshaft drive sprocket and the oil pump, and the "left-hand crankshaft oil seal" as being at the flywheel end - and it is this end that the "crankshaft speed and position" sensor wheel is located, so using smart logic, that would mean that this sensor is to be found at the flywheel end. But Haynes could always be wrong - they were refering to the "A"'s and BBY, BKY and BBZ engines though. Now that I've rad this area of Haynes I'd like to find out where it is also - but one thing, Haynes claims all 1.4 16V engines also have an inlet camshaft sensor - but I've never found that or found it in the parts listings - that is for the BBY engine anyway. Your problem certainly sounds like an ignition problem, I had that once on an Orion 1.6 Ghia SI - like you the first thing I noticed was the rev counter dropping like a stone - on that car it was simple, the coil O/P lead was badly manufactured, a quick mauling with engineer's pliers brought it back to life (after the RAC got me back home!).
J9NO A
Getting There!

Post by J9NO A »

Thanks for your help guys, with a bit of luck we're homing in on a solution. I will take another look at the weekend and report back.

As a side note the VW dealer said it was underneath the oil filter, which is completely non-sensical :lol: . Then the second time I asked they said it was under the inlet manifold. Previous to this I had a poke around and found a sensor there, but believe it to be the knock sensor.
Lordnikon
Getting There!

Post by Lordnikon »

lol got to love the complete confusion from the dealers ! lol - whats the world come to when haynes knows more :lol: :oops:

By definition it has to be connected to the crankshaft so has to be near or around the bottom of the engine.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Normal logic puts in "below inlet manifold" - but to the rear of it - ie nearer the gearbox. I still need to look on my wife's BBY engine to see for my own benefit.
J9NO A
Getting There!

Post by J9NO A »

Completed this job today. Will write it up tomorrow. :D