Theres a hole in my box... dear liza, dear liza.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
89Rallye
New

Theres a hole in my box... dear liza, dear liza.

Post by 89Rallye »

howdy all,

I took delivery of my very first GTI last week, there are circumstances around the car which I will explain at a later date (basically once it running again) probably in its own topic.

Anyway, whilst I was checking the car I found out theres no oil in the gearbox upon removal of the box I found a nice hole in the back of it. I do know whats caused it but i'm in a bit of a conundrum now as I cant really exchange the box for a reconned one without a suffering surchage penalty.

Which means i'm now on the hunt for a Gearbox but having read all the dramas and nightmares with these boxes even if I manage to get one second hand i'm going to get it overhauled anyway...

Is there anywhere people would recommend to do this work, preferably in the north west?

Also when I took to box out I looked at the clutch (didnt really have to look, I could smell it) and its shagged, have read good things about the Sachs clutch, again what would people recommend and wheres best to buy. I believe GSF/Eurocarparts are Sach clutches but are they the cheapest.

Ta,
89Rallye
New

Re: Theres a hole in my box... dear liza, dear liza.

Post by 89Rallye »

Also anybody know the code for a GTI box 6n2, all thats stamped on the box is A
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

With regards to the Sach clutch kit - I've just bought mine from gsf parts - £100.44 that included delivery to Cumbria and some sort of discount.

If you speak to the dudes at the Newcastle depot they will insist that you're a part of a club that involves discount. Top lads.
89Rallye
New

Post by 89Rallye »

emma_88 wrote:With regards to the Sach clutch kit - I've just bought mine from gsf parts - £100.44 that included delivery to Cumbria and some sort of discount.

If you speak to the dudes at the Newcastle depot they will insist that you're a part of a club that involves discount. Top lads.
:D Thanks Emma, funny that cause I was just reading you post about this. Says there though that you paid £111.90 :wink:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

89Rallye wrote:Also anybody know the code for a GTI box 6n2, all thats stamped on the box is A
There are three different gearboxes on the GTI engine, so it could be one of three (all are practically the same, but depends on the block and ESP differences)

Look on the sticker by the spare wheel. It should be on there.
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

so if theres 3 different boxes does it matter if the codes don't match up exactly?? think i've got a different code on my new one lol :?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

What comes off should be replaced with the same for full compatibility, as with anything
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

89Rallye wrote:
emma_88 wrote:With regards to the Sach clutch kit - I've just bought mine from gsf parts - £100.44 that included delivery to Cumbria and some sort of discount.

:D Thanks Emma, funny that cause I was just reading you post about this. Says there though that you paid £111.90 :wink:
Yeah that's what they told me over the phone, but when the receipt came through the post only said they charged £100.44, so checked internet banking and that's what they took out. Silly boys. lol
89Rallye
New

Post by 89Rallye »

alexperkins wrote:What comes off should be replaced with the same for full compatibility, as with anything
I understand that, but ANY gearbox that fits at the moment would do :cry:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Its not that easy with the GTI. The GTI has EDL (electronic differential lock) therefore it requires a box that supports this, ie a GTI box only